On a 97 sunfire the security light came on and the car won't start! How would I fix that???

Asked by Apr 21, 2015 at 10:41 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

7,270

Leave the key on for as little as 4 and as many as 10 min. till light goes out. cycle off/on, start engine. run codes for GM passlock. run tests. google the code. read the info from berger.com. see if you want to play the game or follow his idea.

7,270

or is it berger.net, anyway, there is an electrical idea with small parts from the electronics store.

7,270

The featured car is newer

So all I have to do is turn the key on for 4 to 10mins at the most then start turning the key on and off after I've already had the switch on for 10 mins then it will start??? How many times do I got to turn it on and off for?another question,after I turn the key on for the 4 to 10 mins will the security light go off?

7,270

leave the key on for at least 4 minutes, it can take longer, even up to ten. when the light goes out...Cycle the key,.....Off, ...then... On....that is one cycle. Start the engine. If your battery is low you might charge or jump it? That's up to your circumstances. Drive to the parts store, borroew a code reader, ask them to show you how, get the passlock code, google the code. The pinpoint tests will lead you to the determination of your cause. Since many expensive parts are in play, and repeat failures can occur of many types; there is a man, who of his own volition, studied and simplified the system to his own understanding, he has determined a repair for the wiring loom in the center of the instrument panel behind the stereo. the information goes on for a few pages, rather than assume I know what your module will report, I suggest you do the google, find the one by berger, and look at the pictures. The parts list is there. the tools list is there. Now that you have a start procedure, you can approach this whatever your steps lead you or make a decision of your own about the car and what is best for your circumstances. You can also seek help at your GM dealer as always. if your car has outstanding recalls, of course you need those, If your concern that is happening-and its code and pinpoint tests lead to a service bulletin, GM can advise if you go that route.

7,270

Having your code known assists you in what to google, type the code. The info sites will come up, find the one from berger. net or .com. Since you can buy those cars all day at pik-n-pull, I bet you arent going to start buying new GM parts and try to get it ready for the auto rama or the restoration judging for entrance into a car museum, this is the cost effective method, can be done with hand tools, the parts can be found locally. Hope it quits leaving you to wonder while you are unsure of the battery. that can be too stressful, at least for myself. Hope you solve the issue in a few steps.