Engine noise on 97 Sunfire GT

Asked by May 06, 2011 at 12:26 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr GT Coupe

Hey the car has 109,xxx miles on and just recently developed a knock under the valve cover that seems to match the engine speed. Here is a recording of the sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRY2rO3EjPg. Is it time to replace the timing chain or is my engine shot? Any advice would be appreciated.

1,785

Time to replace the motor. :/

30

does your car still have pretty good speed. meaning the noise does not affect the car speed ability? if yes then you just may need a lifter adjusted or so. Sometimes trash can get under your lifter and cause it to make a ticking sound, if you haven't been changing your oil as regular as you should. Try changing your oil and see if that helps. it should eventually go away if it's gotten trash under it. AS long as it is not a deep knocking, you should be good. Generally, a knocking from under the valve cove is usaully associated with a lifter and or trash. Hope this helps. Alicia

1,785

Lifter wouldnt cause that loud of a noise, plus theres hydralic lifters so you cant adjust them. Good Chances theres somthing internal, its a shame cause it only had 109k on it :/.

10

Just a FYI. The first and last post are completely wrong. Hydraulic lifters can get stuck in a collapsed position causing excess clearance between the rocker arm and the top of the lifter. This is what makes it tick, As far as needing to replace the Engine thats horse shit. Anyone who would replace a Engine over a little lifter tick is an absolute moron. Thats going to the extreme. At most the lifter needs replaced. At the least the lifter may be able to be freed up by flushing the engine and then adding a good quality oil. I am not sure why people try to give advice who have no clue what they are talking about. Alicia's answer is actually pretty decent advice. It is advice most people would give if they didn't want to break down an engine to rebuild. Again keeping good oil in you car is essential.

Wow! It is Feb 2017 my 97 had some motor noises that were getting louder then one day, that same noise showed up. I started at the top end and got to the oil pan which was a BEAR to get off to find #4 rod bearing spun and the crank egg shaped and worn, maybe 1/32 inch or more! That noise is most surely one of your rod bearings, mine was #4. This situation has spelled the end of life for many 2.4l as they age. if the car is special get a good rebuilt engine, if not sell it as an anchor. Dan