Windshield Wipers Point Up

Asked by Nov 13, 2008 at 09:36 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Convertible

Hello,

I just picked up a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE Convertible for REALLY cheap. It is okay for the most part. However, the windshield wipers park in a position where they point up, they are vertical. It looks a little silly and it is quite annoying. They work fine, they can wipe fast or slow with no problem. However whenever I turn them off - they park pointing up.
Anyone know how this can be fixed? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks a lot!
Best Regards,
-Ray Murphy

285

It sounds like your wiper motor was replaced before you bought it and the wiper arms were install 180 degrees out. What has to be done is, the wipers have to be disconnected from the motor and pushed down to the bottom of the windshield, then reattached. If this does not work then it is possible that you may have the wrong wiper motor and it is parking in the wrong position.

Hey Dave. Thanks a lot! I will definitely try to re-do the wiper installation. Some other sources told me that the motor has crapped out, and one of the sensors/switches is malfunctioning. What do you think of that? Best Regards, -Ray Murphy

285

It is possible but, from what you described in your first post. "everything works good they just park pointing up" To me it just sounds like the wiper motor was installed wrong. Check your powers and wire connections to make sure there is noting else that could be causing your issue.