oil preasure low at idle 1997 fomula ho

5

Asked by Jul 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Formula

At 1st start up oil preasure at 40 to 50  when warm drops to 0 at idle around 20 when driving oil level good

96,955

First check the oil pressure with a manual gauge both cold and hot, if a manual gauge shows good oil pressure at normal operational temps then replace the oil pressure sender and recheck for stock gauge operation. If oil pressure drops on manual gauge then you have a possible bearing clearance problem, ie cam bearings, rod and or main bearings. However I have seen a few engine blocks that have cracked in a main oil passage and they showed good oil pressure cold but as they warmed up the crack opened and the oil pressure dropped. Hope this will help.

5

I changed the oil preasure sender switch ended with same results. I blew a head gasket back in October . Heads were shaved gaskets were replaced spark plugs and wire's. Tires Plus did the work. upon restart they bent a push rod they replaced all 16. I had slight tapping noise upon start up but would go away,I got po300 code multi cylinder miss fire and had a oil leak hard to find was leaking high could smell it burning on the headers, I replaced the distributer with Accell code 300 went away. after 2 months they finally found the oil leak it was on the back side of the intake manifold the pulled the manifold and replaced hasn't leaked since and haven't used any oil.that was about 3000 miles ago.Not for sure of actual milagage I bought car with 60000mi on it speedo is off 20 mi a hour about 32% to much. The preavous owner put SLP exhaust and cold air induction system in it feels like possible shift kit to tranney. Thier is about 11110 mi on now. I had oil changed it was looking dirty they found fine metal particles on the drain plug.. Their is about 50 miles on since the oil change still the same problem with preasure.I added seafoam 1/2 a can seem to make it worse . I ulled a 300 335 336 codethe 335 336 weretemporary went away on thier own. Reset codes .Ive restarted 4 times till oil preasure drops no code. Oil on dipstick is so clean it's hard to see it. Thank you for your fast response. I don,t know if should keep sticking money it. I've changed the shocks struts control arm links waterpump set of blitzact winter tires on rims and new tires on vette rims in april. I' a paraplegic and my wheelchair fits behind the seat like a glove. Do love the car when it's feeling good hard not to spin the tires

96,955

If it were me I would still hookup a manual pressure gauge just to confirm it is not electrical. If there were metal filings on the magnetic oil plug it is either block or timing component material, not a good sign, did they happen to look for brass particles suspended in the oil also? It mat be time for some major engine work.