1997 firebird Starting issues

Asked by May 31, 2011 at 05:43 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Formula

6 cyc, I just had it towed.  Repair shop said, new alternator.  I thought ok, I can
save some cash - put in on my self. (really don't have cash to "save"), Anyway,
they told me the battery would have to be charged.  I took it out and to a
charger.  Put it back in and a new issue arrives un like any of the others.  (I really
hadn't had battery or starting issuies w/ it?  Although it not starting was/is an
issue.

There is a clicking sound, likened unto a Hazard warning lights, clicking.  I've
been told the security has been tripped.

I tried the 10min wait to reset, w/key on, along w/ the disconnect the battery for
10mins first and then another ten for "key read/remember".

Now here's an interesting side.  I took it in couple of months back because of a
gas smell.  Very strong and sporadic.  At that time it was s  to be the plugs and
wires.  That didn't really change a thing.  

When I first had difficulty there was a clicking sound, not the dead battery type,
and an air escaping sound in the very center of the engine in the back.  Almost
like both were coming from center of windshield, center of dash, center of fire
wall.  That next morning after towing.  Started right up no indications of these
symptoms / sounds.
As I was trying the 10min wait cycles, I smelled the gas again.  I though it was
the fuel pump kicking in.  No luck.  The engine had cranked every time I turned
the key.  The shop was able to move it as well before the battery re-charge.

Perhaps that's more info than needed?  Perhaps it's enough to pin point.

Thanks a lot for any help.  Blessings, His Bird

4,815

Sounds to me like a weak battery or bad ground connection. Did you try jumping the car from another battery or car? Are the connections to the battery and alternator tight and clean? Has the battery been tested since it was run down by the bad alternator? A weak battery will provide enough juice to make the clicking you are hearing. Even though you had it on a charger, it may not have accepted a full charge. Likewise, even a fully charged battery cant push enough current through loose or corroded contacts. I would go back over these simple things before looking for any relation to the security system or gas fume issue. Good luck.

This cranks over very strong. No weakness or hesitation at all. The clicking is coming from the dash / interior of the car. At this point, it's the left side of steering wheel. Not, starter w/ no or low juice. In my ole school days, I'd of added a shot of fuel to the carb, to prime and it would fire up. When I took this battery out. I didn't have the ignition key. The single lights were flashing. Usually, if I'd open the car w/ key in door and didn't immediately turn the key in the ignition, the lights, (running), would flash, n click until I did turn the key. I suppose the horn would blow too, but the fuse for that is pulled. The connection on the alternator, (which I haven't viewed yet), is a plug in terminal type. Thanks for the encouragement. I intend to follow up on your input. Blessings, Bob

Yes, battery was charged and tested @ zone/auto over night.