what causes my car t start sputtering while driving then other times runs fine?

120

Asked by Aug 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Base

Let me begin by asking if your CEL Check Engine Light is on? starving for fuel for some reason, some sensor beginning to fail or the connection to it causing an ignition problem..so many things.

120

Yes my check engine light stays on all the time, but when starts sputting the light blinks off and on

PS 1997 was the second year for OBDII diagnostics mandatory on all cars (In North America anyway) and if the CEL is not on, please check it by turning the key ON to the RUN position but Do NOT start the car. It should light up. If not that tells us it's not working.

120

Seems like its plugged up somewhere. I changed the airfilter and fuel filter

Ok we were typing at the same time. A blinking CEL indicates a more serious fault has been detected, so your car needs attention post haste. Take it to a large parts house and ask them to scan the OBD, they will give you codes that begin with P followed by four numbers. Bring them back here and one of us will be happy to assist you with a cause and fix. If one place does not do it FREE another will, most AutoZones do. Hopefully you don't live in a very small town

Do you have service records? Complete records? I know that is a long-shot for a 1997 but if you do that would really help, such as have the 02 sensors been changed> I am not saying that is the problem, just an example

A new fuel filter was the right thing to do and what engine do you have? 3.8 or 5.7? (5.7 is the 350)

120

A 3.8 and my check engine light has stayed on sense I got it out the shop 3 years ago. The sputting just started and when it starts my check engine light blinks till it clears up. Just thinking somewhere its clogged up

68,895

Fordnut is correct,when that engine light flashes it is giving you a code,trying to tell you what is happening,more than likely misfire on cylinder.s,but that said code,s would help to solve your problem.

120

Gonna bring it to autozone and have them check it out

120

Thanks for helping

Come back here before buying anything! They are notorious for selling you stuff you don't need and electrical parts are non-returnable

120

Ok I will be back