Will Start, Won't Start

45

Asked by Apr 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Base

I recently traded for a '97 Firebird.  The problem I'm having is sometimes when I drive it,, it will just shut down.  Everything shuts off.  Sometimes it will restart right away, sometimes not.  Now, I can't get it to start at all.  Had the battery tested, it was good.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the chip in the key.  Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks!

985

Wow. The possibilities are endless. I would start with the connection on the starter. I have had the same thing happen to me on a chevy truck. I found the connections corroded. Cleaned it up and it was fine. Let me know whatcha find

sounds like the ignition switch is going bad,if it dont have a SES light,that is where I would start.also check the body ground,is on firewall to back of head or engine block,most are on passenger side,is a silver braded looking wire bout 1/2 inch wide.

Best Answer Mark helpful
265

Had a similar problem on my 87' Firebird and the problem was in the starter. The sheaves inside were dead and the seals who were holding the main starter rotor were also dead, so if managed to start it up after a little hit on the road or somewhere the car died because the + and the - inside the starter made short circuit. Hope this helps a little.

45

Well, it turned out to be the electrical wire off the battery. (Not sure if it has a name). Worn out and split apart. Thanks for your input!! :-)

fuseable link.

20

Wire to the alternator

10

My 1995 fire bird trans am run for a min then just shut off now it would crank some times