1997 Pontiac Firebird electric windows and radio go out when bump occurs

Asked by Dec 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Base

This occured after we had AC work done on the car. Is there a connection these two electrical systems share or a common power source coming thru the firewall that mught be suspect?

245

Start with the fuses. It is possible that there is one loose popping in and out. The radio and windows is kinda of a weird combination, but then again im more of import guy.

I HAVE A WS6 1997 CONVERTABLE ITS DOING THE SAME THING ALSO THE TOP WONT WORK , IT ALSO SHUTS OFF THE ING. ONCE IN A WHILE WHILE DRIVING. I HAVE REPLACED THE SWITCH UNDER THE DASH A FOUND THE WIREING HARNESS BURNT AT THE PLUG END. IF YOU BUMP THE STERRING WHEEL HARD IT BRINGS THE RADIO ON . ALL THE FUES ARE OK AND NO POWER WAS GOING TO THE FUES FROM THE SWITCH. THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM IT WAS THE WIFES CAR AND WHEN IT WAS ACTING UP SHE WANTED A NEW CAR. SO I GOT HER A BMW650CI AND I GOT THE FIRE BIRD TO PLAY WITH .THE CAR RUNS GREAT AND GREAT GAS MILEAGE COMPARED TO MY H2

Check the Body Control Module located under the dash on the right side of the car.

THIS IS DONZIFAST AGAIN AFTER A WHILE IT STARTED TO DO IT AGAIN SO I TOOK THE BODY CONTROL MOD. OUT .THIS HAS A PLASTIC CASE THAT OPENS UP AND I FOUND THAT THE DELAY THAT MAKES THE RADIO TOP AND WINDOWS ABLE TO WORK FOR A WHILE WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY OFF. UNTIL YOU OPEN THE DOOR . THE SODER WAS LOSE .I SODER IT BACK AND IT NOW WORK PROPERLY. THIS SAVED ME ABOUT $200 IM CROSS MY FINGERS

I have a 97 firebird also does the same thing radio on and off . sometimes I will hit a bump or make a turn and everything works again for a few minutes.

I have a 98 firebird does the exact same thing! Drives me insane! I have subwoofers in the back and at first I thought it was draining to much power, but now I'm hearing it has something to do with a connection under the dash. Cool car but DEFINITELY NOT WORTH BUYING