I just bought a 97bonniville and i think i need a new fuel pump

Asked by May 10, 2016 at 04:37 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

My car wont start

170

Is it cranking but not starting or does nothing happen when you turn the key? Also, is there a security light on? Could be a clogged fuel filter, or a bad fuel pump relay (in your fuse panel). But here are 2 easy ways to test the fuel pump yourself if you think that's the issue. 1) Turn off all radio and ac and turn the key to ON but don't try to start...do you hear a slight hum sound from the rear that lasts for maybe 2 seconds? If so, your fuel pump is working. 2) If you can't hear the hum, there is a fuel pressure release valve under the hood that looks like a tire's air valve...probably has a green or black cap and is located under the plastic engine cover. Get a lot of paper towels around it and press the valve with a screwdriver tip to release all the fuel pressure (gas will spray so keep the towels over it best you can, just press until it stops spraying). After that, turn the key to on but don't start...then off. Do this 3 times, then check the same valve to see if fuel sprays out again. If so, fuel pump is fine...if no fuel sprays after that, it's either a bad pump or relay. Relay is easy to replace...fuel pump not so much. Hope this helps.