whenever I turn on the heat or defroster the coolant temperature gage moves into the red zone.

Asked by Nov 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

The vehicle drives well until I turn on the heater or defroster then the coolant temperature starts moving toward the red hot warning indicator.  Why does this happen and what can I do to correct it.

64,365

Check the radiator fan,when you turn on the heat for defrost,the ac come,s on,and if fan doe,s not cut on with it,may be the issue of heating up,if it only doe,s it then.