1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L - Cooling system dominoes?

Asked by Sep 24, 2013 at 09:05 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

1st it started with me overheating the motor and cracking the plastic radiator tank at
the upper hose inlet - after the drive belt broke and I drove 7-8 miles (stopped when I
got near the red line) with no water pumping.  So I replace the drive belt aqnd thee
radiator and start it up runs great for 45 test - guage goes to middle and stays there.  
Later that day i notice i'm nearly red-lining the temp guage. Stop and find
water/coolant has come out of the surge tank. After cooling and refilling the thing goes
right up to high again and there's constant steam/some water coming out the cap. Get
new cap. Still overheating.  I can go with it just below the warning zone for 20 -30
miles and it stays there then sometimes it wants to go on up in the warning zone till I
have to shut it down. Here's the thing -- I don't know if it's the thermostat sticking
cause I get almost no heat coming through the core.  I dont really understand if I have
an air block. The one bleeder valve on the pipe coming from the heater core has the
screw head snapped off flush and I don't see any others. Tried lettin it bubble out
through the surge tank - but no real change.   Help me Gurus

217,075

If you have no heat, your might have a stuck thermostat and or you haven't properly bleed the coolant system. Try this first..".First with engine off and bleeder screw open, fill coolant reservoir until coolant comes out bleeder, close bleeder and continue to fill reservoir to full line. Turn heater control to full hot and start engine. Rev to 2500 rpm until you reach operating temperature and let idle. Recheck and fill reservoir to full line. If you have air in system it will affect the fan from coming on. What controls the fan is the coolant sensor and cooling fan relay.

83,175

It is possible that you have air in the system as you don't get any heat from the heater or you could have blown a head gasket and compression gasses are forcing the coolant out, I think you need to run a "block check" on the engine.

217,075

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzvmvYQz9I