I have a 98 pontiac sunfire automatic, just stoped in middle of road. Engine runs , When i put it into any gear it doesn' move, it rolls like its in neutral, except for park holds.

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 01:21 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr GT Coupe

definitely a problem in the transmission possibly a torque issue or shift solonoids any deeper then that id suggest getting another transmission at the junk yard. they are not work rebuilding

1998 sunfire is front wheel drive with no driveshaft. how ever if you are referring to the front c-v shafts, if he was to break one of those when you put it in gear it will spin the one shaft causing a good amount of noise with no travel ( i have been there) btw i have also grenaded one of these transmissions before i put it in any gear that i wanted and it went no- where what i did was broke the differential gears in mine. i had it completely rebuilt cost me 1,400 bucks. but mine was standard. hense why i say. if its not simple go to a junk yard.

cheapest is a junkyard, most times they will do the work. whole thing maybe 500 bucks from dropping it off to driving it again. Straight remove and replace.

It's been made quite clear that it isn't the cv axle, definitely a trans issue, could be as simple as low fluid.