Car stalling after slowing down

5

Asked by Dec 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr GT Coupe

Hey,
I`ve been having a problem with my car.  It's happened twice already and would like some advice on what to do.  The first time I  warmed the car up and drove it for 20 mins.  When I slowed down to turn into the driveway, I pushed the gas to get up the hill and it stalled on me.  Restarted, but when I pushed the gas there was nothing happening and it stalled again.  After letting it sit for a few minutes I restarted it again, and after revving it a few times it stayed on and good.  No issues until tonight.  After driving for an hour home, it again had trouble when I pushed the gas to speed back up coming around a turn.  I managed to get it home by keeping it slightly revved, but it stalled when I hit the gas idling in the driveway.  I recently had a loose wire that was causing a cylinder to mis-fire.  Could anyone give me ideas on what to look for so I don`t have to necessarily wait forever at my mechanic's?
Your help is appreciated.

Was there any smoke out the tail pipe? If so, what color? Is it a 2.2? I have seen many of these with partially plugged fuel injectors. Possibly wires going to one of the injectors? Don't use the injector cleaner, take it to your mechanic's and have them remove the fuel rail and check the function of the injectors by pointing them(and the rail) up in the air and cranking the motor. Then clean them.

5

It`s a 2.4 and if there was smoke coming out of the tail pipe it was white. Someone had suggested before that it might be the injection module. I'll take it in and mention the injectors though. Don't think I can get it in until Wed though.