Doesn't stay running....

35

Asked by Sep 29, 2015 at 07:52 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

I've replaced the spark plugs, battery, alternator... Not holding the charge. It runs but dies after a few minutes. This started after I replaced the spark plugs

270

First step! Check the voltage from your battery. 13-16 amps without load and 10 amps when cranking! Then check voltage to alternator when running. Voltage should be same as battery volts maybe 1 amp less. If there's a difference. If you do not have a voltmeter, crank car disconnect battery and pull battery out..touch the ground cable to body. If the car shuts off its your alternator. If not and stays running it can be your coil or ECU.

Best Answer
35

Well.. I had the alternator checked at AutoZone. They said its good but battery was really low. I'm hoping a new battery will fix it. If not, I'll let you know! Thank you so much Greg!

35

Okay.. I got a new battery. That fixed the dying problem. Now... As soon as I start it, it revs like crazy for a few seconds. Once I start driving, it picks up speed on its own.. AND when I shift gears it acts like I'm flooring the gas. Any idea why?

I have a 1999 Pontiac sunfire and it was leaking oil I had change the oil filter and put new oil now the car makes this really loud noise like if it's hitting against another metal part I check everything but nothing the noise comes from around the motor and every time I turn car on it turns off what can it be? And my accessory belt tensioner rattles to?