Lost key to my Montana how can I get new keys asap without listing a arm and a leg!

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 10:04 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Montana 4 Dr STD Passenger Van

Sorry to be the messenger but if you have no key whatsoever it's gonna cost. To the tune of maybe $120 if you are lucky.... not including a tow to dealer or a qualified locksmith and not all are

755

Not true u can call any dealership with the VIN number and get new keys $60-70 max

755

Ur gm prob has a key fob aswell so being that it is programmed to unlock only ur car they have the VIN and radio frequency on file don't call a locksmith there is no need to simply call ur nearest gm dealership ask for the parts department and let them know u have lost ur keys and that u need them to make u a new set u may have to show proof of ownership plus the VIN number

Ok, you sound like you know what you are talking about, I stand corrected

755

I have encountered this prob before and with most GMs from 1998 to pres that has a key fob the Vin is on file I was a tow truckdriver/ light serviceman for AAA plus I also have worked for a few dealerships as a mechanic

68,725

GM only keeps VINs active for 10 years. A '99 model is now 17 years old. With Cadillac you can get key codes going back decades but it's a fight! In 2010 I got the key codes for a '67 Fleetwood that I owned but it was a major fight. The Cadillac Dealer refused to even entertain the idea the codes were still available. I had to get them from my local Chevrolet Dealer. True, transponder keys are relatively cheap on eBay as are the fobs. But you're looking at 1 hours labor for programming and cutting the keys. At $100+ per hour labor the total cost will be close to $200 assuming that the lock cylinders don't have to be replaced. Is this vehicle a PASSKEY or VATS system? Believe it or not GM was still using VATS on some models as late as 2001. HTH. -Jim

i have lost my key to my 2003 pontiac montana and had went to gmc to get replac3m3nt key only cost me 32.06 with tax but went to try to start my van and nope key didnt work so now im trying to figure out how to replace the cylinder without a key and how to clear the vat system code to reprogram my vehicle because i have no local towing company and the dealership is 3 hours away. help me im feeling like i lost hope.

Rose, Your best bet is to: 1. check if there is a marking on the metallic portion of the key. 2. If there is a marking, most likely that the key needs to be programmed - call your dealership and confirm 3. Tow your car to the dealership and have them program it for you I just did all this today. it cost me approximately $605 to make the key and $73 to program it. - Worked fine.

$65 to make the key and $73 to program - sorry about the typo!