After driving about 40 miles my Pontiac firebird 1999 shifts gears choppy when accellerating from stop. why?

Asked by Apr 25, 2015 at 08:18 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a pontiac firebird 1999 automatic transmission. After driving about 40 miles and I
make a stop (like at a stop light ) and then put my foot on the gas my car shifts gears
choppy instead of smoothly like before. It's normally the first shift and then is ok, but
continues every time I make a stop. I've asked my mechanic but he is unable to figure it
out since he is unable to experience it when driving  (since it occurs around 40 miles of
driving ). Any ideas on what it could be?

I have a new fuel filter, cleaned my throttle body,  new liquids etc

965

Hi you replaced your transmission fluid? If you do do that service make sure you get the set up where the new fluid goes into your system as the old fluid goes out not a flush cuz you don't want to hurt your transmission so I would recommend doing the fluid transfer where your taking the old fluid out as the new fluid goes in and additionally I would get the fully synthetic Mobil 1 transmission fluid cuz that's what I used on my Saturn and it really changed everything as far as the shifts are so much more smoother so maybe it is just a fluid & filter change and you might be good to go I'm not sure?