99 Firebird headlight won't come up?

Asked by Apr 17, 2015 at 02:45 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Firebird Base

I replaced my headlight motor gear
on the drivers side (plastic gear) and
when I reinstalled everything it was
working fine after my first test of
flipping them up and down. But I was
curious to know if they would work
continuously so I tried about 4 more
times up and down successfully but
then on the fifth try the driver's side
headlight was restricted on it's
rotation. The light still comes on it's
stuck. There are two t-30 torx bolts
that hold the headlight assembly on
this rotation. Could it be that I
tightened these too tight? Or does it
have something to do with the lever
arm? Please help!

Paul Martin

I don't really have a lot of experience in this, my guess is that where the arm attaches to the bracket to hold the assembly of the light maybe that's loose and needs tightened or it could be that your motor is going bad? There's a whole complete kit sold online with the gear and the motor assembly everything together in one kit so it might have been better that you replaced everything all at once? Did you use a brass metal gear or plastic gear cuz they sell kitts that have a metal gear instead of the cheaper plastic gear. The metal gear works better it makes a stronger contact point, let me know I hope that helps?

Run the headlight up and down with the hand actuator next to the housing under the hood. The light assembly should move freely up and down. If it binds, look at the assembly hardware and make sure it is all tight. Also a shot of wd-40 or other light macine oil on the mechanism is good to try. As you are doing this, have someone turn the lights on and observe both the binding light and the other one that is operating correctly. It may also tell you what is wrong. If you can't find any cause for the binding, pull it and examine the new gear. Make sure it is clean with no debris in the teeth and it is not broken in any place.

Thanks for your help. I actually found the binding to be one of the three headlight motor bolts placed on the wrong side (there is a black bolt and a silver nut) The lever arm kept coming in contact with the nut which was causing the arm not to extend it's full travel. So I switch the place of these two and its working fine now.

Paul Martin

Good to hear looks like I was right in the first part of my original answer to you!

You were on the right page, it did have to do with the arm .. And nice firebird it looks just like mine .. But with chrome wheels

Paul Martin

Thanks I do love my bird and it looks good! if you don't mind can you mark my answer the best Thanks