99 firebird v6 turns over but won't start?

240

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 09:13 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Firebird Base

Motor will turn over but won't start, tested the fuel pressure - good, tested the spark to the plugs - good. At this point I'm lost, no engine code or security lock out. Help?

When did this start stopping for you? at while you were at the convenience store, came out and it happened? overnite, you came out and it wouldn't start? after a high speed police chase?

You sittin' on empty or the gas tank is full?

no hiccups or backfires? Mileage over 150,000 might coulda jumped a tooth?

where/when/under what circumstances did this happen?

Keep me guessin' then, pcv valve, egr valve, vacuum advance failure choked air filter bent accelerator linkage, tranny mounts affecting throttle linkage thru defective transmisson mounts--

18,485

first through some fuel down the throat from squeeze bottle gas,see if needs fuel to pistons.if so then the injectors are not opening for a reason .if still no fire, its mechanical like timing belt ,or terrible plugs

240

Everything has been fine up until this afternoon. I drove it this morning to the store and back home. I got in and started up fine, back up out of the parking space, and started driving forward. It just stalled. Turns over with out starting. Push it back in the stall. I checked the plugs they are fine, getting good spark. Fuel pressure is fine, but the injectors are not opening to spray. I'm getting no power to them. I put a volt meter to them, no power while turning motor over. Any ideas?

yes. your battery is old. these things degrade 10% per year. clean the battery connections solid, including the ground to chassis connection and to motor connection too. With solid and bolted-down power this whole stalling business will go away!~

240

battery is fine, no connection problem. If injectors aren't getting power when turning over motor, could it be the Ignition Control Module? Does that control the injectors to open and close?

We tend to forget the ground, but I always use the analogy of commander data killing the borg by simply cutting the power...pushin the off button, well lack of negative ground effectively pushes the 'off' button on your electronics (if the ground isn't solid and corroded) and to the engine which also needs negative for spark and starter- do not underestimate the importance of a solid ground connection!

yes it does, that's why solid ground is so important. works off of information gathered from the cam and crank sensors and temperature sensor too, MAP, EGR, AND MAF and O2 and TPS are all taken into account-

240

I don't have a battery or ground problem, I disconnected the battery cables and check all that. Getting power to turn motor over and run the headlights. Something is telling me its the Ignition Control Module, Ive replace the cam sensor three time last year. It was coding it over and over. And every time it wet or rains, it's misfires.

every time I've had a problem with the computer...it was the GROUND....or lack thereof what created the 'brownout' condition...kinda scientific to explain but on a galvonic level the power gets "brown", like stirring cat food into your pot of delicious chili...ain't gonna be delicious no more...run it clean...stop screwin around and put it's connections to the battery solid and reliable!

thank you for the kudos, by the way....am tryin' my best to make your machine reliable and beautiful to drive....everytime a vehicle strands me in the past, I've made it a point to GET RID of that vehicle so's I aint got that sinking feeling of unreliability. So far, the '61 Cadillac, the 66,72 and 74 beetles had to go. the 79 brown pontiac had to go, I'm gettin' picky about my ride anymore~ this vehicle will make you proud if given a chance to!

240

Sorry, dude. You weren't even close to helping me. It was a blown fuse in the motor compartment. I have been working on cars a long time. This car I've had for 13 years, replaced the motor myself. I was a little dumbfounded on the problems but after reading problems about injectors I found the answer to be either the Ignition Control Module or a fuse. I have three fuse boxes on my car, two are in the motor compartment. Now I know and so do you.

30,955

Roy you were in left field while he was playing hockey, bad ground = no crank congrats on getting all those points by begging for them.

20

where is this 3rd fuse box. I am having the same issue.

240

Under the hood on the driver side near the headlight. The two fuse boxes are next to each other.

240

It took me some time to find out it was the fuse causing the motor not to start, not the battery or alt. I replaced the 15 amp fuse, but it kept blowing out. So, come to find out the fuel pump in the gas tank was going out. That was the main problem causing the fuse to blow. Yes, the fuel injector fuse and the fuel pump fuse too. I ended up replacing the fuel pump, nice little price tag of $350.00 My advice is to have the fuel pressure tested and make sure it pumping the right amount of pressure. It should be 55 psi

20

well I only have one. So mine is either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay I guess

1,495

Patrick, depending on the year of your Firebird, it may have only 1 fuse box underhood. My 95 has 1 fuse box in the passenger compartment and 1 fuse box by the driver side headlight. As far as testing your fuel pump, there is a connector on the passenger side of the vehicle under the hood near the PCM (it's back up near the firewall). The wire isn't connected to anything but if you run a hotwire to it from your battery, it sends 12V directly to the fuel pump so you can test it. If the fuel pump spins up, then it's probably your fuel pump/starter relay. It's located under the box to the left of your pedals or behind the left side kick panel.

1,495

Also, appropriate fuel pressure will vary based on the engine your vehicle is equipped with.

20

yea thanks. I found the relay. I knew where that was. I have the 96 V6. I have a fuse box on the drivers side compartment and drivers side under the hood by the head light. none of them have a fuse fore the fuel pump. That is why I ask where the 3rd fuse box was.

1,495

Hmm. I'm not fully versed in the 3.8L Firebirds (my expertise is more LT1 related) so I'm not sure about a 3rd fusebox location. In mine, the fuel pump fuse is in the driver headlight compartment.

I have a 99 v6 firebird and here lately it's been dying on me while driving and won't start back up until about 20 minutes later and even then it won't last long until it dies again it just started doing this couple days ago do you think the fuel pump fuse relay goes on for a little and then goes back off because I don't understand

The problem I'm having Seems similar as yours christin.think If i replace the fuel pump relay fuse that will help? or do I need to get the pump too..

240

I come to learn my fuse problem was deeper than replacing the fuse. I kept having problems with my pump and injectors, it was my ECM going bad. I burned up my ICM, the connector to my ICM, and a few fuel pumps. It was later i learned my ECM was to problem. The ECM won't code on the OBD II. The parts stores want too much so Ebay is the cheapest place. Make sure you get the number off the ECM before ordering it and so make sure they flash it to your VIN.