1999 Bonneville w/ Supercharge won't start :(

15

Asked by Dec 09, 2013 at 10:46 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SSEi Supercharged Sedan

I have a 1999 Bonneville with Supercharge (supercharge belt is not connected though!). My car won't start. No sound when turn ignition. Changed the battery post bolts, starter, and  alternator....still did the random choice of not starting. It starts sometimes and then sometimes it don't. So can't pinpoint why and when. Battery checked good. What else could it be now?

170

Sounds like a bad ground. Do the headlights always turn on without the ignition. Check where negative battery cable contacts motor or frame. Make sure the contact is clean and shinny without rust or grease. The supercharger belt is separate and shouldn't be preventing the starting problem. I drove my own 2000 a full year before I discovered my belt was even missing.

15

Yes lights all (inside & out) all working and looking great. Even changed a fog light that was out the same time the alternator was replaced. Will check the negative battery cable. Would this cause it to sometimes start & sometimes not?

170

If the lights are bright then their has to be ground. But check it for bad or loose contact. If this fails then either your ignition switch or your safety neutral switch may be going out and just acting up when it feels like it. Next time it doesn't start shift your gear lever up and down and see if it doesn't start right up.

15

I tried starting it in neutral and that didnt work. I replaced my ignition switch because of a broke wire, security light never going off, and would not start at all so won't be the ignition switch. Will check the wire though.

I had this issue just got my car back yesterday it was the ignition something about the chip in the key or something Im a female my dad had done for me