2000 sunfire wont start

10

Asked by Mar 09, 2010 at 06:08 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE

engine wont start unless you pump the accelerator and runs if you keep the rpms up, it dies if you try to let it idle. I replaced the fuel pump and crank position senor. it was running fine one day and wouldnt start the next.

105

first off y u replace the pump?

25

did you check the relay for the fuel pump?? or what about the fuel filter, did you replace that?? and is it running rough when it is running?? mine does that sometimes when the throttle body gets too dirty and the sensors cant read right. also had a friend whos cavy was doing the same thing. he ended up having to replace the injectors.

10

I replaced the fuel filter weeks before any of these issues took place, because the car has been sitting for 9 months before we got it. I replaced the fuel pump because my brother in law had a similar issue with a car he owned and that resolved it. this car has 129k on it. I cleaned the MAP sensor and looked at the throttle position sensor. I am not sure if the throttle position sensor can cause an issue. it appears to be purely mechanical. I havnt removed the injectors or fuel rail.

10

took it to garage, p0300,p0180. did compression test - cylinder 1 and 4 no compression. :( lookin for another motor.

25

did they check the timing?? it could have jumped a tooth or two. now if the timing went on it, then youll need another motor. cause those are interference motors.

10

took the valve cover off, found a push rod on cylinder 1 and 4 had came out from under the rocker arm and got stuck there. I removed and inspected them. Put them back in place and it runs just fine now.

30

Did you have this problem over several months? I have a similar situation but, it doesn't happen all the time? Usually, when I have been driving for a while and make some stops along the way.. When I restart the car, it will hesitate, boogdown, even backfire in the engine ( once in a blue moon ) it occurs more often when I run the a/c. IF it idles out ( stops running ) I need to wait about 15-30 minutes to get it restarted and I need to PUMP the gas pedal then slowly bring up the RPMs to keep it running, but the the RPMs will not go above 4,000 and will bounce between 3-4,000 reeving up and down, while it backfires in the engine...then after a minute...off I go? Putting along the way...I also notice recently that the acceleration is slow, when the car is " running fine" The car is a 96 with 150,000 miles on it... I would hate to bring it to a mechanic for guess work… Thanks for your help,

30

im having the same problem it drove fine drove until I parked it while the gas was low bt it still had some gas in it,i put a bit more in it n it reads tht the gas level is good enough to start, I can hear the pump run for a sec. or 2 bt, changed plugs & feul filter bt still it only wont start n my ignition switch is hard to get into the on position bt my buddy say I just need a new key cut for tht bt I don't know need help