I basically have the same question as the guy above about my gauges dropping when i turn on my stereo. I recently installed a new radio in the car. What would cause this to happen?

Asked by Dec 31, 2012 at 04:15 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

Sounds like you spliced into the wrong wire - probably the power wire. When the stereo turns on, it reduces the volts to the gauges.

its hooked up exactly like my last stereo and i had no problems with that one

my suggestion from experience is that the wiring kit on the new stereo could possibly have different or the wrong wiring colors than that of your car or prior sterio... just food for thought though

no yellow is always constant power red is ignition power or memory and black ground then the rest are speakers

besides blue that would be your remote for an amp

im thinkin its a bad gound somewhere but just dont know where to start

Here's all the wiring colors for the 2000 Sunfire radio - http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1897.html

Constant 12V+ Orange --- Switched 12V+ Yellow --- Ground Black --- Illumination Gray ---- Dimmer Brown

Front Speakers 4" x 6" Doors --- Left Front (+) Tan -- Left Front (-) Gray -- Right Front (+) Light Green -- Right Front (-) Dark Green ---- Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck -- Left Rear (+) Brown -- Left Rear (-) Yellow -- Right Rear (+) Dark Blue -- Right Rear (-) Light Blue

You said "red is ignition power or memory" ---- The ignition (switched) power is the yellow wire, not the red. That might be causing the problem.

there is no switched power to my deck it only has a constant power

It has a constant red or orange power to keep radio memory (presets and time) but there is a "remote wire" as Tenspeed said. Its yellow on the radio and it runs off of ignition power and it tells the radio the car is running so it can turn on. If it's always on then the radios power wire is drawing power from the ignition wire and it is staying on all the time because the hot wire is always feeding the remote so it thinks the ignition is on. You got the yellow and red mixed.