my 2000 pontiac sunfire se coupe wont start????

35

Asked by May 24, 2011 at 08:05 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

i just bought the car.. i drove it fine for 3 weeks and than i was low on gas and was going home
to get money for  gas and broke down around the corner.. pushed the car home got a gas can
and put 10$ in it and put it in my car.. now my car wont start.. what could be the problem??

35

i asked around and people are saying its my fuel pump but to try putting more gas in the tank first.. but before i spend my money on random things i wanna make sure....

745

the fuel pump has a tendency to overheat when the tank is run until empty. the liquid fuel in the tank is actually what absorbs the heat generated by the fuel pump. mechanics will often question if the car was run empty when they suspect a burned out pump - chances are your vehicle was run until empty a few times already as the part can only withstand so much heat. it is not a costly part, and it is a few hours of labour. initially you can fill the tank to 1/4 and try to start the vehicle, but do not put much more than 1/4 in the tank in case the mechanic needs to drop the tank to access the fuel pump.

35

iight thanks

1,825

It doesnt cost much? the pump it self costs 300 bucks and after labor your looking around 400, or even more.

depends, might get lucky and find a walbro pump for it. theyre usually under $150. Id recommend doing the labor yourself or paying a friend that can.

99,195

Get some starting fluid and squirt it in the intake. If it fires, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't fire, you have a ignition problem. It won't run long.

745

i bought one from the gm dealer for $89 and had it installed at the shop by my mechanic. it took 45mins. shop rate is $75/hour.