Losing accerlation when going up hill in 1996 Ford Windstar

10

Asked by Jul 28, 2015 at 03:02 PM about the 1996 Ford Windstar 3 Dr GL Passenger Van

I have a 1996 Ford Windstar I use as a work vehicle.  About 2 months ago lost transmission fluid and forced to pull off road.  Put transmission stop leak in it and has done great so far.  Today as I was driving home I was stopped at traffic light.  When I accelerated the van would not move. Engine revs and I go no where.  Once I was able to get top of hill finally it drives good.  What is the problem?  Praying it is an easy fix...

10

oops... when I was stopped I was at traffic light on a hill. When stopped on level street it accelerates fine without any problems. Seems to be when I am stopped on a hill.

18,810

Sounds like the stop leak has slowed the leak but has not stopped it on a hill transmission fluid can not reach filter. Check transmission fluid level on level ground.

Best Answer
20

Sounds like your automatic shift solenoid is acting up. Had to replace one in an 05 Chrysler Pacifica a couple months ago and it fixed the issue. Also check the speed control sensor. If its bad it will mess with what your computer registers and cause crazy things to happen.

10

Thank you.. I checked transmission fluid before I left and seemed fine. However I am a girl lol.. and my brother said I had to check while running...I did not.. I did however check on level ground.. Does the vehicle need to be running to check fluid properly?

18,810

Yes idling in park and engine warm.

10

Thank you firebird338.. You Rock!

18,810

Thanks DawnCastle 57. Glad that I could be of assistance.