Servcies Traction Control System, ABS and TCS OFF lit up on Dashboard

Asked by Mar 07, 2010 at 12:28 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Montana Base Extended

Service traction control system light comes on at startup along with the ABS and TRAC OFF lights . Servcies traction control system goes off and other two ABS and TRAC OFF stay lit when I drive. I would like to understand what could be wrong and is there anything I can do before I have to take it to a mechanic.

850

You probably have a wheel speed sensor bad. with a proper scan tool its pretty hard to diagnose

1,520

I am having this same issue and my question is can this damage the vehicle in any way.

2,120

I am having a problem with the traction system too on my 2003 Pontiac Montana. My lights will come on randomly while I'm driving, but just before the service traction system light comes on I can feel a vibration in my brake pedal that sometimes feels like something is slipping. My Car has about 165,000 miles on it so I'm wondering if it's worth getting fixed or if it's time to start shopping for a new car.

770

I am having the "exact" same problem on my 2001 Pontiac Montana with 168,000 miles. The service traction system light along with the Traction Contrl and ABS lights come on usually when I crank it up. The Service Traction system light goes out and the other two stay on sometimes days then go out. I have noticed when no light are lite that when I lightly touch the brake pedal I get the vibration of the ABS followed by the lights. I can't get this to duplicate very often though. I plan to scan with my computer program for wheel sensor problems before looking into the pump/control aspects. It is intermittent for long durations which somehow points me to an electrical/sensor issue??????????

10,715

the most common problem is that the wheel speed sensors get corroded- if you don't know how to fix it, just take it to a local dealer and they should have them in stock. The wheel speed sensors affect ABS and Traction Control both, that is why it turns on the service traction light.

200

Forget about the wheel sensor had that replaced 5 times every 6 months and the darn thing continues to mess up. The bearings keep getting beat to all hell creating the brakes to bleed more frequently and replacing that too I've come to the conclusion the abs modular needs replacing

525

I have a 2005 Montana with 117,000 and the abs & traction service traction control message sometimes appears in the info area. My wife would always say that the brakes were acting up but it would never do it while i drove it. She would say that it had some kind of vibration at times. However it started several months ago doing every time we went off in it. But after tinkering for several ours a one day I disconnected the wheel speed sensors at both front wheels and the vibration has gone away. It Has been several weeks since it has vibrated while applying the brakes but the abs light stays on all the time and the service traction control comes on every time you start it but goes off after a few minutes each time. The abs works fine still but the traction control doesn't. However it's a grocery getter in Georgia don't really need the traction control. I plan on one day replacing both wheel speed sensors until then I'm driving the Montana while my wife drives my truck...

525

I have a 2005 Montana with 117,000 and the abs & service traction control message sometimes appears in the info area. My wife would always say that the brakes were acting up but it would never do it while i drove it. She would say that it had some kind of vibration at times. However it started several months ago doing it every time we went off in it. But after tinkering for several hours one day I disconnected the wheel speed sensors at both front wheels and the vibration has gone away. It Has been several weeks since it has vibrated while applying the brakes but the abs light stays on all the time and the service traction control comes on every time you start it but goes off after a few minutes.The abs works fine still but the traction control doesn't. However it's a grocery getter in Georgia don't really need the traction control. I plan on one day replacing both wheel speed sensors until then I'm driving the Montana while my wife drives my truck...

190

I have a 2006 Montana with 110,00 my wife also wants to start driving my truck. I have replaced all the bearing with the speed sensors twice each. I just now replaced what my mechanic called the Yaw Rate Sensor. This did not fix the problem with the ABS activating for no reason. When you are turning and pressing the break sometimes a the sliding automatic door bell activates and continues to activate. When the car is stopped another bell sounds, place the car in park and the bell will stop. Driving us crazy, I guess now I will replace the ABS module.

100

runs great but a pain plain to convert to original brakeing system not so hard to do get a normal hyd clynder and a eqlizevalve and hook the four lines front to rear and bleed in the system now has exceptional brakeing plan to drive it to the very last mile ronii hanzel reeseville wi.

90

there are two wires leading to the sensor that's connected to the front wheel hub. make sure these two thin wires are in good shape and not broken.

20

It is neither the hub or bearings or speed sensor unless the code says otherwise. if you are having the vibration in the break it is most likely 2 things either the caliper is bad and is sending incorrect messages to the ABS pump or it is the break master cylinder not sending enough break fluid to the breaks themselves. I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana that would turn the ABS light and Awd disabled light on after i hit either 40 MPH or 80. it was also kicking the pump for the ABS on for no reason. I had just done new breaks and rotors and thought that Maby i hit the sensor connector but all was fine. So i proceeded to do some research and found it was one or both of the things listed above. i wend ahead and replaced BOTH (mine as well erase both possibility) and BOOM problem fixed this is as long as your wire harness are in good shape leading to the ABS brain. (from wheel hub on up)