I'm having a problem with third gear. Could my synchros be bad?

135

Asked by Jan 31, 2012 at 08:49 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Firebird SLP Firehawk

Sometimes when I try to put my car in 3rd gear while in motion, I feel like it hits something inside, just before actually getting in
gear.  Also, when trying to downshift from 4th to 3rd *sometimes* if I do it too quickly, gears will grind.

Any thoughts?  

Additional info, 1st gear is sometimes also problematic but usually its not that bad.  Also, with the engine off, I can move into
each gear with zero problems every time.  

1,205

You probably are letting out the clutch too fast.

7,185

if your synchro was bad it would be hard to shift into that gear.. it happened in a work truck i sometimes drove.

2,965

shifter could be worn

135

Thanks for the answers today everyone. I still have the problem and I have decided I'm going to replace the transmission fluid to see if it helps. If any one else has any other thoughts let me know! I will post back here if the transmission fluid helps. If not, maybe I should consider replacing the shifter next.