Issues With Clumpy Coolant Stick On 2000 Pontiac Firebird

5

Asked by Oct 17, 2012 at 01:36 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Hello,

I have a 2000 Pontiac Firebird and I've been having some issues dealing with a clumpy coolant stick. I've had it flushed out three times by a professional Oil Changer and the company can't seem to figure out why it's still clumpy. Does anyone happen to know what could be causing this? I have attached a picture.

Thanks and would appreciate any advice!

-Jared

8,885

did your professional oil changer, check for head gasket leaks,

5

John, no he didn't. Is that the problem? Anyway to resolve it? Thanks man

8,885

when the cooling system looks like that, it is common, the coolant level low/you keep adding to it?, why flush it 3 times, and the engine oil might look the same, or milky...is the engine oil anything but black?

34,315

Cracked radiator is allowing oil to enter the cooling system. Don't know whether its trans or engine but one of the two oils are getting in. Does the trans shift slow? Oil pressure below 40?

1,625

Could be a leaking power steering fluid cooler. It'll be a radiator hose with a metal part that has two smaller hoses coming out of it. But before you do anything, check all your fluid levels. If you're leaking oil, trans, or ps fluid, the levels will be lower. Although, I am inclined to agree with John about the transmission fluid since the integral plastic trans fluid cooler will crack and leak into the radiator. Like I said, check your fluids.

5

There's gunk underneath the radiator fluid cap as well. I'm not too sure if there's anything leaking at all. It's just the gunk under the caps that are worrying me. I just had my check engine light turn on not too long ago. Might have to take it in and have it checked by Big O Tires next time I need a rotation. Thanks all for the help. John, the oil pressure is fine at 60.

5

Also, the reason why i had the coolant flushed three times was because the Oil Changers place wanted to know if they did something wrong so they flushed it but didn't take any step further into looking at what the problem could be

My mechanic said that some times the over flow reservoir does get like that over time. My radiator has been flushed, oil changed, oil pressure 60, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, plugs, plug wires, air filter & ignition coil.