2000 Pontiac Firebird

Asked by Mar 23, 2017 at 07:09 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Firebird Base

I am trying to drop the steering column but
I can't find the screws. My key will turn to
the run position but it isn't engaging so I
think I need to replace my ignition switch.
Any advice is helpful

Remove the lower steering column cover (hush panel). You'll see two large nuts. Remove them and the steering column will literally fall down. The ignition switch may just be out of adjustment. Especially if you have the full rotation of the ignition lock. If not, it's probably the rack and sector inside the steering column. If you decide to remove the steering wheel to get to the rack and sector assembly remove the negative (-) battery cable FIRST and wait 5 minutes for the airbag system to discharge. The airbag system retains a power reserve so that if the battery is disabled in a collision the airbags will still deploy. HTH. -Jim

Jim...thanks for the help. I have dropped it but I am at a loss as to how to check the adjustment on the ignition switch. I can see the gears inside when I turn the key but I can't find a way to see further down the column. I have tried to pull the steering column out but it is hung up someplace. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong besides not taking it to the shop to begin with :)

Pic of what I can see internally

Ok, I believe you have an "old time" GM set up. Can you post a picture of the column straight on? You'll need a lock plate compressor tool. Once the lock plate is compressed you'll remove the little clip that retains it. Then carefully remove the lock plate assembly. It's spring loaded. Now unplug and remove the screws for the turn signal switch. Pull the switch assembly up and out of the way but don't remove it. You should now be able to get to the rack and sector assembly. I'll try to upload an exploded view of your steering column. Here goes........ HTH. -Jim

Found what I believe is the spring loaded thing when it jumped out at me :) I will try the turn signal tomorrow. I had to stop before I lit it on fire tonight. Thank you for all your help!

Your ignition switch is #16 in this diagram. Hope you can see it. HTH. -Jim

You're welcome. Glad to help. Let me know if you need more diagrams. HTH. -Jim