Car won't start

30

Asked by Dec 26, 2015 at 07:57 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Firebird Base

Alright guys, my car won't start at all.  It's a 2000
V6 Firebird with 142K miles. My battery is good, I
have a full tank, and I just changed the starter
today. My car won't start, the dash lights won't turn
on and when you turn the key, you just hear a click
sound nothing else. My windows still work and
also my radio. If anybody has any clue or passed
experiences in this topic, please help. I've already
tried to pass cables and turn it on but nothing
happens. Please help

76,215

All your connections are clean, tight, and good cables from the battery? I believe you would have checked all that, but that almost sounds like the problem, or the battery is not as good as you think? Try jumping it to see if you can get it to turn over and start.

76,215

Dash lights not turning on, wonder if a fuse-able link is bad.

30

I checked the fuse box and they all seem good. And idk how the battery looks but I've tried to pass cables already and it still won't crank

60

Have you check the ignition key hole sometimes you can get a burnt connection in your steering collim and it makes it to where sometimes your dash comes in and sometimes not I would try that

76,215

Fuse-able links are in wires...

1,385

I would say at this point check for a bad ground check all your ground wires you know ground coming off the battery a ground to the frame of the car those kinds of things check all your wiring conections, cables, grounds to your battery connections make sure the battery terminals are extremely clean no corrosion and it does seem like a power issue to me like the battery would be bad?

30

It turns out it was a fuse from inside the car. Regardless of that, I still put in a new starter.

1,385

Oh that's good news you got it running then no problems? That's just a simple fuse too bad you had to do the work of a starter but now you got a brand new starter that's great to hear happy motoring especially in a nice Firebird can't beat that!

30

Yeaa I know man, appreciate all the help. I was carless for a week

10

The battery works the lights come on the car isn't making a sound at all

76,215

TPN3 post a new question...

What fuse was it

The same thing is happening to my car firebird 1999 8selcandy apple red

1,385

Just check all your fuses in your fuse box panel and see if any of them are bad Additionally you have a fusible link I think between the starter and the battery that also could be bad and that's like a big fuse that's incased in plastic it's a little trickier but first check your fuses your regular fuses inside your fuse boxes

I thank you ...and I let you know what I find..thank you very much

135

I have a 1997 Formula that developed this same problem this past Friday night. Mine had no lamp test in the START position a faint relay click under the hood and NO security light on or blinking. In the ON position Windows, Radio, Reverse Lights, and Wipers all worked. I noticed that nothing that was supposed to work when in the ACCY position was working. Studying the schematic I decided the Ignition Switch must have failed internally. To test this theory I grabbed a length of Ma Bell phone wire and twisted all four conductors together on each end so it would carry enough current for the task. I happened to have a cigar lighter plug and I determined which of the two pigtail wires was the 12v hot wire. I taped off the ground wire and attached my phone wire to the cigar plug hot wire and connected the other end into the IGN single connection terminal (unused) in the driver's side dash fuse panel just in front of the 10 amp PCM Battery fuse. Bingo! The instrument panel idiot lights came on as well as the fuel pump. I turned the key to START and it cranked up and ran. Being out of town at a second home I need to drive about 4 miles to get a new Ignition Switch. I removed and cut the phone wire and added a regular home-type light switch so I could turn it off when I got out of the car since it still ran with the key in the OFF position. The only issue seems to be the battery may not be charging so I wouldn't recommend driving a considerable distance with it jury rigged like this. The weather is cold right now so I bought a new switch at O'Reilly and will have a local mechanic change it for me. I hope this is helpful to others.