How do i disable the security feature on my 2000 firebird?

30

Asked by Jun 11, 2016 at 04:32 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Firebird Convertible

Noone seems to have an answer as to why my car wont start, and this seems
the obvious culprit. Have read all the threads and taken all the advice. Other
than starting from scratch with a whole new wiring system or spending 1000s
of dollars i dont have, this sounds like an easy bypass... so, please bring on the
questions.  I posted everything i  have tried but it mysteriously dissapeared into
cyberspace, so rather than do it again...just ask, and by all means tell...cuz im
frustrated as hell and cant take it anymore! LOL

118,425

It's not something a novice can do on your rig, it uses a chipped key not the resistor system, the main processor handles the security system, the cheapest way, and it's not that cheap, is to take it to a dealer and have the system reflashed to the vehicles VIN and updated to what ever changes you have made.

15,695

You can disable it BUT before you do this do have any of the original keys to the car?

30

Yes, i have the original key. Noticed a new and different symptom today. Was trying to do some if the reset ideas in posts..one of them was to lock and unlovk the door by key and woukdnt ya know i can unlock it, byt not lock it. As i tried the headlamps came up and the horn started blowing. I put the key in and turned to start which shut off alarm, byt secirity light still on and wont start.

30

Sorry about the misspells, hope you can make it all out.

118,425

Those door locks need to work properly as they contain the switches that turn on and off the security in combination with the fob and chipped key. You still might need the system reflashed after everything is set back up.

1,605

I would say take your car to an automobile alarm shop and they can disable the system, they probably have a better way of doing it then what we could figure out? They would probably have to install an aftermarket alarm and at the same time they could disable the original car alarm. Might be cheaper than getting the whole system reflashed I would check into it call and see if they can do it?

I bypassed the security system on a Cadillac with a "chipped" key. Cost me less than $5.00....It belonged to my step Mom....The chip is only a resistor, the security module "reads and records" the resistance on the first key that is inserted in the new car. The ignition lock cylinder has two contacts on it, with wires that run to the security module. The circuit is completed when the key in inserted into the lock cylinder....The problem was that the wiring was broken at the back of the lock cylinder. You must read the resistance of the "chip" ( touch a lead to the contact on each side of the chip} with a good volt/ohm meter.this will be read in the "ohms" position.......I then soldered together a string of resistors of different ohms, this is equal to the resistance value of the key. ....at the base of the steering column you will find the wiring that runs to the security module. ...I found it in an orange sheath/cover. I cut the wiring and soldered the resistor string in line with the wiring going to the security module. ....The wiring that runs "up" into the column is not reused/disconnected.......The original key should then start the car.....Worked for me !.........Hope this may help someone !....... P.S. Sorry the post is so long.......BL