I'm having trouble finding a part identified to be replaced.

20

Asked by Feb 15, 2017 at 12:07 AM about the 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX

The car belongs to a very poor person and he is in need of help. He was told
by a mechanic that the reason his car was stalling at idle was that there
were holes in the under part of the "air intake manifold" or the part under the
pictured arrow labeled with V8 4.6L OHC. I'm not car savvy either. We are
having a difficult time finding out what exactly the name of the part is and
how to get a new one. Even finding a use one seems to be a challenge when
you don't know the actual name of the part your looking for.

17,905

Air Box is pictured and connected to the throttle body, under it is the air/fuel intake manifold, just behind the air box also in view is the throttle body , and it has a gasket and vacuum hoses, and sensors. Under the intake manifold (metal part) would first be the gasket, which sits on the heads and center of engine block. As under the air filter box with arrow to it if that is what it is or engine cover there is vacuum hoses, EGR. and other sensors, I think some one needs to pull the air box or engine cover which ever that is off and look for the part in question and then remove it and take it with you to get a new one or used one.

69,475

Google "Blue Springs Ford Parts". Enter the vehicle information and click on " engine " two diagrams will come up. The second shows the air intake system. There's not much there in the parts list because the car is so old. But perhaps it will help you. I did try to download the diagram but the site wouldn't let me. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
25,835

Your arrow points to the air cleaner housing. Inside it is the air cleaner element. The housing has a largish tube connecting it to the intake air resonator through an opening in the front fender apron. The air cleaner housing also has a small outlet tube for the PCV. At the back of it, just above your arrow, is the throttle body. Attached to the throttle body is an Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve. That valve supplies supplemental air to the engine at idle. Also between the throttle body and air cleaner housing is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, which may be dirty. The MAF Sensor can be cleaned but only use MAF cleaner, other types of cleaner (like carb cleaner) can ruin it. I have no idea what your mechanic friend is talking about "holes under the intake manifold," The intake manifold is bolted to the engine and he would have had to remove all of the throttle body and air cleaner assembly to get to it. I would either clean or replace the IAC valve and see if that improves anything.

25,835

BTW, that engine is super clean looking, especially for a 1996, I would be surprised if there was anything wrong with that air cleaner housing, it looks brand new. If cleaning the MAF and IAC doesn't do the trick, check for loose/leaky hoses or vacuum lines.

20

LOL, I used a pic I came across online. Wouldn't it be nice to have been that clean. Here is the actual pic. I really appreciate the responses as it helps a lot! Does anyone know how I can find a replacement part. I've heard of getting a conversion but the poor guy doesn't have much money and anything over $100 is not in his budget. The local junk yards have proven unsuccessful. I tried to search online junk yards but they make you pick an exact part name and none of the ones listed above in replies were a match.

74,565

Try Craig's List or Ebay.

20

Just an update, I was able to finally get the part thanks to your help! Js08016's parts breakdown was a big help to explain exactly what we needed to autoparts stores (eventhough it didn't have a name or part number on it which was strange). They were able to use the illustration to easily find the part for the poor fellow. They even gave it to him for free!!! Good thing as he is virtually homeless with two kids!! You all are awesome and made his day!!! Thanks!!

69,475

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click! So glad to hear you got it fixed for him!! Thanks for letting us know!! Being on hard times is no fun!! Lucky he has a friend like you!! - Jim