1996 ford thunderbird wont start after driving it ,like its getting warm .till it cools off after a few mins

Asked by Sep 05, 2013 at 09:07 PM about the 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX

1996 FORD THUNDERBIRD it will start and drive fine after 20miles or more i park it,do my errond and go to start again it wont fire over .like its not getting spark..I get it to turn over but not start .I will wait about 5 mins or so and it starts right up.what could be happening.It has got to be a regular thing now

20,535

may be some fuel perking down the intake manifold slightly flooding,the engine,hold the peddle to the metal next time for start, to give it lots of air,if so you may experience rather heavy fuel consumption. also if so,check the oil for fuel dilution watery and thin.

335

Check your spark wires. And your ignition coil. Should be no cuts in the wire and should be no dirt or grim in the coil. My 5.0L TBird did this to me a couple of days ago.

335

And hot is it getting on the temp gauge?

24,565

A '96 T-Bird is fuel injected - as most vehicles for the past 20 years have been - no fuel percolation - do not press the gas pedal when starting - ever. If you press it far enough, it will shut off the injectors and certainly won't start. There are a few things to look at that have this kind of heat- related failure. The Ignition coil, fuel pump, or a sensor. Is the "Check Engine" light on?

Bird guy, no its not reading hot on the gauges. Tracy,the check iengine light is not on. I did take it to a garage and had a diagnostic done .It had no codes come up (other than the AC was low) Machanic said I had to catch it in the act,or spend alot of money on replacing things that didnt need replaced till I found what was actually bad.

335

How long has it been since a tune up was done? 1. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on if not the (relay for the pump is in the trunk left side behind the black box. 2. Check the coil 3. Check spark wires 4. Check spark pluges 6. Check fuses 7. Fuel filter (under the passenger side behind a metal plate with two bolts. Lot of things to check lol but will save you money instead of just throwing it at it.

24,565

I'd talk to a mechanic that is actually familiar with your vehicle. A true Diagnostic will determine what is or isn't going on. In my opinion, if that shop can't figure it out, they owe you your money back! After all - they accomplished nothing.