2001 sunfire failure to run/ hard idling

5

Asked by Oct 06, 2010 at 09:14 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE

so an old coworker gave me his sunfire before he got shipped to korea, had it for about a year and was giving permission to sell it, i ran it a few times while my buddy was gone and didnt have to many problems, i got it detailed and bam it wouldn't start unless you gave her gas but then it sounded like a lawn mower and wouldn't idle so you had to hold the gas down the whole time, now after talking to many different mechanics we tried replacing spark plugs and fuel filter, we're starting to think it maybe a vacuum line that came lose or came off but i have no idea were this line maybe. so if anyone can help i would be greatly appreciative. it pisses me off i'm a mechanic on a fighter jet but cant solve my own car problems. thanks again  

55

have u had the fuel pressure checked in the vehicle to see if its your fuel pump they tend to act up for a lil while then go out or just quit and the vacuum line should be directly on the back of the throttle body next to the iac idle air control valve. but i would say try the fuel pressure first and check the injectors make sure their not leaking if that doesnt solve it then id say try checking the coil packs or the ignition module. hope this was helpful to you