car won't idle well .

25

Asked by Oct 23, 2008 at 07:05 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE

Ny grand mother 's let us use her car the other day .I notice that when ideling the rpm change from 900to 850 rpm.I THINK IT'S THE IDEL CONTROL VALVE .I'm not sure .What could be causing this .

130

Does the car idle rough or does the rpm just change?

25

the car rpm changes whit out touching the gas pedal .it changes from 900 to 950 and back to 900 rpm .then it idle rough a little.

25

could it also be the timing that's need resting?

9,605

Idle control valve would produce a more drastic change in idle, for example 850 to 1200 to 850 and so on. Sounds more like a random misfire. I would give it a simple tune-up (plugs, wires,etc). Should fix your problem.

25

could it also be a timing isssu?

9,605

Highly unlikely, but possible! Sounds more like a spark issue. Not properly gapped or old spark plugs; or maybe a faulty coil pack.

25

I remoove each spark plug wire from the engine . Clean the ttop of the spark plug put tehm back in place , did the same thing on the coil pack now it idle fine. (900)rpm that is like new

25

both

205

i recommand to check the egr valve....when they start to get stuck ro start to stick, then they will act like that...i would start there

25

good thinking il check that but now it stalls and it takes up to 3 or 4 tries for it to start again . It does not mather if the weather is bad or not .

30

if i were you i would check the fuel filter or the fuel pump.. may be clogged... mine was doing the same and i switched the fuel filter and it works fine now