2001 Pontiac Sunfire Not starting

30

Asked by Apr 15, 2016 at 10:43 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

I recently purchased almost immediately the car
would not crank occasionally. A relative told me
starter was fine that it was the wiring
somewhere so proceeded to run a wire from the
starter a to the positive battery terminal and this
must be touched every time I want to start the
car. Now he is MIA and car still has the wire to
start. A few days ago, during a thunderstorm the
car lost power steering and max overheated, it
never died I shut off for a total of three times to
limp it home. Upon inspection the serpentine belt
had slipped off. I inspected all pullys and noticed
the big bolt at the back of the a.c. compressor was
missing and the compressor wiggled. I then put in a
bolt and that made it sturdy again. Serpentine belt
was reinstalled and tension felt tight. I then
proceeded to start the car with my handy wire to
positive terminal method and car will crank but
not start. Also in the process of all of this my
purse was stolen with my keys so a locksmith had
to install a new ignition. Please help with any
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

4,575

buy a toyota...sell this one~

4,575

toyota's do not break down on the side of the road~

30

Lol... To funny! But seriously I need to know if its a security thing.

4,575

ok...seriously...you must have a somewhat NEW battery as these things stop accepting a charge 10 percent per year...so new battery...if you can put your hands on an electrical tester...we want at least 12 volts at the battery...and the demand will want 40 amps to start the motor...see if the cables are free of corrosion when you get the new battery...check the date on top of the battery....tin/antimony batteries are wimpy and are not as robust as a LEAD battery (thanks to my dad for gettin' the lead out)...so a new battery with a full charge would be first~ perhaps your current battery is a weak sister and your ignition cannot make the grade on reduced voltage~ ....so having a full charge, next switch the ignition on....onto the on position....with your test lead but it on the positive side of the coil...you should have 12v at the coil~ ...next at the distributor...need to get the high-voltage out to the ignition wires~....in the old days there was Points and a Condenser....these days is in a pack, still there should be 12v in...to the coil...and perhaps 20,000 volts out~ ...next there should be voltage at the ends of the wires...stick a phillips screwdriver where the spark plug plugs in....and try to run the car....you should see a nice healthy spark~ having spark out of the distributor....we can work on the fuel system~ I'll stay with you~

30

All checks out good! I can also hear the fuel pump engage when I turn on the car. Also when I try my nifty wire start method the security light does blink but never stops, I was trying the 10 min relearn at one point.

30

I did also try to start the car again this morning and the theft light is on solid along with the service light.

4,575

ok...from a GM expert~ Turn the key on, with the engine OFF.Try to start the engine, then release the key to ON, Engine will not start. Watch the security telltale, after about 10 mins, it will turn OFF. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. You must turn the ignition OFF for 30 seconds before attempting to start the vehicle. Start the engine .

4,575

...ok that does not make any sense...off and on wait 5 and waste 1/2 hour with that~ phooey...might have to spend some more time on how to stop the security nonsense~...hanging in there yet...new to this~

30

The security light never stops blinking for me to start another cycle.

30

Could the belt and tensioner be bad after all causing the car to not turn over?

4,575

no....should be okay...we want to see a spark...you should be able to re-initiate the system by pulling a battery clamp off for a few minutes...will start at the beginning of that routine...at least~...question have the timing belt and tensioner been replaced recently...should be okay then~

30

No I just tightened the bolt on the ac compressor to make it sturdy and put serpentine belt back on and when it cranked the belt did not slip off this time but the car won't turn over either.

30

Pulling battery clamp off now

4,575

,,,you do know that these tensioners are supposed to be loose enough so the spring is doing all the work (on the timing belt) or accessory belts~ kinda allow the spring to provide the tension....should not be cinched down...but allowed to bear on that rotary spring~ so there's that...as far as now it will not turn over...initially said the battery has got to be NEW~ make it so~

4,575

excellent~

30

I աɨʟʟ ʍaҡɛ tɦat ɦaքքɛռ aռɖ ʟɛt ʏօʊ ҡռօա!!

30

I ɦօքɛ sօօռɛʀ tɦaռ ʟatɛʀ!!

4,575

cool font~

4,575

you might grab and electrical tester...for cheap...then you could see if there is power to the coil~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231764223143? lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

4,575

where you are? there was one toyota for 1200.00....just sayin'~

4,575

2.92 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231764223143? lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

30

Well I had a friend charge it to the 12.5v and got a crank but did not turn over! Btw that Toyota is pretty cool, I love old cars!!!

30

I actually have an electrical tester, believe it or not, that I've been wanting to try out!

4,575

if it's "locked up" may want to consider puttin' your dough into something that already works...have loved so many cars, but in terms of reliabilty...pick a winner...sunfire is NOT a winner...my MBZ with 700,000 miles belonged in a museum....you cannot pick a vehicle so precious...rather a common car that you can find parts for in any town~ toyota's impress me~ electrics are best...but kinda xpensive..tesla, nissan leaf...etc....smell the car...interior (beer, party car) exhaust..(smelly black exhaust if bad) and does the interior meet with your approval (torn seats are out) good luck trina....punch my name and let me know how it all works out...JAY (bob_nueske)..the best bacon of all~

30

Lօʟ I ʝʊst ɮօʊɢɦt tɦɛ ċaʀ ɮʊt I աɨʟʟ ʟɛt ʏօʊ ҡռօա... I'ʍ stɨʟʟ stʊʍքɛɖ tɦօʊɢɦ.

4,575

nice GOTH vibe...somehow I feel compelled to make sure you get back on the road~ take care of the ones who really need you too~ which is "the car" hope it is not an El Camino~