2001 sunfire 2.2 manual....idles fine, step on gas, bogs out, dies

Asked by Dec 01, 2015 at 04:00 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

my sun chicken was running fine 1 day, next day went to go to store,
started car, running fine in idle. went to pull away and car stalled. started
fine, but when push on gas pedal, engine will rev to about 2500-3000 rpm
and start bogging out and will die. but starts fine again. I have now noticed
that my exhaust seems to be extremely wet, but i do not detect any odor
with it. any ideas??

18,560

Check for a dirty air filter.

OK...update.... I discovered what appeared to be antifreeze in my oil. So head gasket issue right? That is beyond my skills, and not worth paying to get changed. So I tried a stop leak stuff by Rizlone. Followed directions... Changed oil, and it appears that stop leak worked...yay. That being said...still had same issues. This is when I discovered how wet my exhaust was. So I figured maybe a lot of moisture in there. I let my car idle for 2 hrs....sorry environment... Went out stepped on gas and ....dies. I put car in reverse, backed up and it worked....so went back and forth in driveway and car started working fine. So went for a couple mile drive, car bogged slightly twice, but recovered... Now no issues, hit 120km/hr and all is good. Got back home, thought better check oil again. Oil looks fine, but then I noticed what looks like the stop leak coming out of a very small hole on the manifold. Seems to be sealing it. This is where I am at now. Any thoughts on this now??

Oh, and tried to check air filter, but whoever had the car before me has stripped on of the screws badly, plus the rust, I can't open it....yet. Gonna have to drill out the bad screw I guess

18,560

Never used that brand before but have used Bars Leak and it worked great. Keep a eye on leak to see if it completely stops. If for some reason it does not stop leak do not add more hoping it will work that is when you can clog up the cooling system.

Will do

18,560

If it does not stop leaking post back have something else you can try.

Thank you....will update in a few days.