What can I put in my sunfire?

55

Asked by Apr 08, 2012 at 10:36 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe

I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire coupe. I love this car, it was my first car and I've had it for years, and you know how men are about that car first cars, My problem is that its past the 150,000 mile mark and I want to keep it, No I want to improve it.  Now I know its a pos and its not worth it in most peoples eyes but I already have plans to convert it to standard with rear wheal drive, so major modifications are not something that scare me. I Just Wish to know if you have any knowledge as to just what are my limits as to what sort of motors I can place in that frame, obviously weight, torque and size are my biggest Issues, as to looking at what the car can handle. So what do the experts think? Whats the most I can drop into my little 2001 Sunfire?

13,115

Sounds like quite a project. I see no reason, if your willing to go this far, why a 2001 Sunfire couldn't handle a V8.

2,995

i think they came with a 2.2 liter 4 and a 3.1 v6. to change it to rear wheel drive would be a major undertaking. the late monza came with sbc engines, so maybe transfering the body to one of those if you can find one rust free..........

485

j-body.org has a bunch of information about 2.2 ecotec swaps running upwards of 250 hp at the crank. I agree that rwd conversion would a huge PITA, but with time & money anything is possible. Be careful about stuffing too big of an engine in there as suspension and mount position will need to be modified significantly to hold and balance the additional weight if you want to be able turn as well as stock.

Best Answer Mark helpful

you're going to have to cut the floor & firewall to fit a tranny & driveshaft plus chasis & suspension mods . sounds like fun !! take a few pics .

2,995

maybe a tubular frame/rollover to stiffen the body and be a joining piece for the drivetrain and suspension

55

Over all the RWD conversion is going to be my largest project, the transmission change will actually be rather simple in comparison but I have several experienced buddies that are going to walk me through the conversion step by step to ensure I do everything right, FYI One's a cop and the other's trying to sell my a Skyline motor for it.

2,995

if you wanted to keep it fwd, you could try a cadillac 4.9 i dont know if it will fit, but some people have squeezed them into a fiero/

845

My 2 cents worth. You guys are TOO much. The car will not handle a RWD option. Not desighned for it, or have the ability to handle the torque. Let alone he said himself its a POS. I mean how rusted is it? And the guy with the Cadi engine option... that was a K Body swap... IE: buick, Olds. With modification to handle the sheer tourque of a 350hp stock engine and STILL a FWD. And the entire front end(body-wise) would have to be changed. It wouldn't even look like a Sunfire anymore. It has a short, low front dip because it IS a FWD. The centre hub in the car is for the exhaust, not a drive shaft. If you wanna keep it, restore it, put a turbo on it, or a NOS hook up if you like. But if you want a RWD, dude. really?... buy one. In the end, its your money. Do as you please.

2,995

with enough money and fabrication, you can do almost anything. back in my day the big thing was putting a 350 supercharged sbc in a vw beetle, it didnt fit but they made it work. yes i agree it would cost an arm and a leg, but its his money, time, and he wants something no one else has that would be it.....

10

ive seen people put a v10 in a Karmann Ghia. So size of a car and what its designed for have nothing to do with it. I have just recently been given a 1999 sunfire four door, so im putting a chevy small block where the back seats are.

220

Some guys are just mad, because they have crap, any ways we all agree on if you take the whole dame body off what ever the dame crap frames under their you can do that right, like just rent a dumpster, throw away all the wheels, all the breaks, all that straight up junk!, because lets face it the body shap & kits a arrow dinamickk! Then because GMs Are a fully up gradeable, I would get like a old, realy old messed up vett, with the engine runing, did you here me , then put that body down in sink on that frame with the steering wheel then turn the key, & guess what, bam! It works, remount the rear end, wheels, cut out anything needed, then, put the newer gto rims on it, then make sure it sets right, the whole body with it start connect in the roll cage, system in very nice with primer paint & 2k clear coat, so if you make it all work nice, why wont the independen shocks work ?? 383, supercharged turbo, all forged interals, even the spare is a 18 inch wheel, that car with noz option, is not nuts to dream up, it will cost you $65k, 70k loaded, zero to 100 mph 2 sec easy, top speed wat like 190, noz like 220.

I've been wondering the same bout using a 16 valve motor out of a vibe with the training. I'm wondering if I need to use the axles too

Will a 1998 voltswagon coupe motor fit into a 2001 Pontiac sunfire