2001 Pontiac Montana no power steering after changing pump/hoses

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 04:51 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Montana Sport Extended

I had a pretty bad leak a few months ago and had both my hoses replaced on my
Montana. Then about a week ago out of the blue my pump started making a weird
noise and I lost power steering. The reservoir looked low, so I put fluid and it helped for
about a minute, but less than a mile later I'd loose power steering again. Had it looked
at, found one of the new hoses was leaking, so that was replaced, as well as replacing
the power steering pump and reservoir. Still no power steering. I do have a new noise,
which sounds like a knocking, and it appears that my serpentine belt needs to be
replaced now, but no clue what's up with the steering. Any ideas? Thank you in
advance.

18,810

I agree with AskTrannyMan I have put new parts on a vehicle and turns out the part was bad. Also may went to try Lucas power steering pump stabilizing fluid used this when I had a problem with my power steering pump was hard to steer worked great .Not saying it's going to work but it's worth a try.

I'm not sure what a "steath" is but I will suggest it to the guy who does my mechanical work. We both thought it was the belt, because when I popped the hood it looked as though something was in the air running along with the belt as it went around the pulleys when I had the engine running. Of course, with the engine stopped I can't see where anything is torn, ripped, or cracked on the belt. But, you both seem to be leaning toward the pump malfunctioning. It is a remanufactured part. So, I would think that the chances of something going wrong with the pump would be more likely in that case than if it was a completely new part. Thank you both.