2001 Montana - What should be the length of the transmission dip stick?

145

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 08:39 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Montana Base Extended

I have a small leak in the transmission line running to the rad. But when I check my dipstick when the engine is hot, the dipstick shows that the fluid level is above the full line. Now, I'm wondering if the correct dip stick is in there.
Does anyone know what the length of the dipstick should be?
Thx.

241,575

Did you change dipsticks at some point to think you have the wrong one? Are you checking the fluid level correctly? Yes, the engine has to be up to operating temperature. But when you are pulling the dipstick are you park on a level surface and the engine is running and transmission in park?

would not worry about this...if the transmission is working normally, let sleeping dogs lie...as they say...hardly think that someone switched dipsticks or added more fluid during the night...due to the expansion and contraction of the oil, could actually look higher...there is some "wiggle room" here~

98,025

Get the transmissions cooling lines replaced. Have the fluid and filter changed if you haven't had it done recently and worry about fluid levels after that. It's a small repair now that can save you over a thousand later if the transmission fails.

145

I bought the vehicle only a few years ago so I have no idea of its maintenance record. I was going to change the fluid but a mechanic told me a could make matters worse if I change the fluid after so many years of not changing it. I do check the fluid level when the engine is warm and running in park. I plan to fix the leak myself but thought it was strange that I have a leak but the fluid level is almost 3/4" above the full line. The best response here is that someone with a 2001 montana, pull out the dip stick and measure its length.