WATER LEAK

10

Asked by Jan 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Firebird Base

What causes a water leak on the drivers side and only leaks when there are heavy rains.

125

If you have T-tops they can leak, but its usually the rubber molding around the top rear corner of the window, its a common leak as the car gets older, My 1993 firebird had the same problem, if its the same thing, you probably get a wet shoulder when driving in heavy rains. fix idea- if it is that thick U-shape molding then you can wedge something in between the car body and the inside of the molding to make it stick up a little more, when they are new they retain their shape, and keep a tight seal, but after a few years in the sun they sorta take the shape of the glass and lay flatter

10

Fortunatley I haven't been driving when it has been heavy rains but could this problem also cause the water in the back passenger side floor and in the trunk area? I have taken the car to a body shop and let them see if they could find where the leak was coming from. They used a high powered hose and said they could not see a leak anywhere. They too thought it might be from the T-Tops but seen no water leaking through the tops.

125

ah well that is another problem that is common and I experienced in my 93' have them check the seal between the windshield and the dash water runs in behind the firewall under the carpeting and pools in front of the back seat because it is a low point there is a gasket below the windshield that will dryrot after some time, due to sun exposure, this is more of a problem if you park outside, this type of car just doesnt really hold up well in the elements. the hose wouldnt show the leak because all of the water runs under the carpet, after they replace the seal pull up your carpet and check for rust and repair if nessacary, I caught mine in time, but if this has been going on a long while, you may risk your floor rusting out Ask your Body shop if they are a certified GM waterproofing specialist, and if not, take it somewhere else, or odds are they wont be able to figure it out

95

similar issue maybe, my '02 pontiac sunfire se post - Ok, I know what you are thinking. Replace the weather strip, do a wet test. Here's the thing. I found the problem. I just have no clue how to fix it. The problem is a hose that originates behind the rear seat just under the rear dash. It runs along the driver's side wall inside the trunk to the floor of the trunk. It has a flattened end with a tiny slit running the width of the hose. I know this is where the water is coming from, but I have no clue where it comes from, or where the hose is supposed to drain out to. I can't find the opening that it should be running out through. Any suggestions, diagrams would be a great help if possible. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/slappaho54/my%20dojo/DSCN3325.jpg http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/slappaho54/my%20dojo/DSCN3324.jpg Maybe this will help, good luck.

Similar Problem: 2000 Trans Am, bought in 2004. When the car is parked on a hill with the hood below the trunk hatch height and a heavy rain falls, the watery comes in thru the passenger side hatch. The water comes in on the seating portion on the weather stripping near the part that resembles an elbow. It runs into the trunk, then into the low portion of the back floor and then under the seat and into the front floor. This is a real PITA. It takes several days to dry out all the wet places and I need to pry up all the mats and padding along the way. Has anyone gotten GM to provide a solution??