I am the original owner of a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville.

55

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 05:27 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE

The check engine light is on. The code P1404 was read by a shop and by me using my scan tool. Two new EGR valves were put on and the code cleared after each installation  However, the light came back on and the same code is shown. What can I check to fix the problem? Should I try a third EGR valve? Thank you for any suggestions that you may give me..

71,875

This is a problematic trouble code. What's going on here is the computer "thinks" the EGR valve is stuck partially open when it's not. Each EGR valve has a different closed resistance value across the electronic terminals when closed. The computer must "learn" what closed is. To do this try this. In this order, unplug the EGR valve, then clear the computer, then turn off the ignition and unplug your scan tool, plug the EGR valve back in, and start the car. Take it for a drive. If the trouble code does not reset it worked. If the trouble code resets you'll need to have the computer "flashed" (reprogrammed). This is not very expensive. Usually a "flash" costs about $100 at a reputable shop. HTH. -Jim

55

I want to thank the CarGurus for giving such a great answer. By following your instructions I was able to correctly turn of the check engine light. The car runs great.

71,875

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for letting us know and for the kind words. -Jim

70

After setting for about a week, all three passenger doors electric windows and door locks do not work on a 2001 Bonneville ssei. I changed the 10 amp fuse for the passenger door module but this did not help. Any ideals? Jim

71,875

Sounds like you have no power coming out of the driver's door to the other 3 doors. Does the driver's window and power lock work? Has it rained while the car was sitting? If so water may have gotten into one of the doors and caused a short that blew a fuse. If any of the other fuses are blown replace the fuse with the same amp fuse and see if the windows and locks will work. HTH. -Jim

70

Jim, Thanks for the advice. As I am retired, I drive the car very little so it has set in the drive for a week or two prior to discovering this problem. Also, found about an inch of water in the floorboard of the rear passengers seat. I now have the back seat out and the fuse box open along with the owners manual. Cannot find a fuse, breaker, or relay for the door locks. When I push the lock on the key fob, the drivers door locks and there is a clicking sound from the fuse box. Any idea where to start, or, think I just should start changing fuses and hope for the best. Jim

71,875

I'm looking at the owner's manual for my '00 Grand Prix. While it's not the same car I'm sure that it's very similar. The fuses for the locks and windows should be in the passenger compartment fuse box. I doubt that is the problem though. This would be an all or nothing type of deal. If it were the fuse(s) none of the locks or windows would work. Look for a fuse marked MALL. The MALL module controls the locks and windows. It's like a body control module in that it controls the accessories (locks, windows, horn, wipers, lights, etc.). Since you have water in the back of the car the MALL module may have gotten wet. Is the trunk wet? Sometimes they put these modules in the trunk on the underside of the rear package shelf. Unfortunately if the fuses are ok you may have to wait until things dry out and see if it returns to normal. If it does the leak will need to be fixed to prevent this from happening again. HTH. -Jim

70

Jim, Thanks again for the information and quick reply. I will look for the fuse marked MALL. I checked the trunk trying to find out how water got into the car. The trunk is bone dry. Floor board on passenger side rear is dry as is floorboard areas in the front. There are not water stains around the sun roof or rear window. I have no idea how the water got in. As I stated, I do not drive the car a lot and we had some snow late in the year that piled up around the car for several days. I will check it again in the morning and if the problem still persists, I will drop by the local Auto Zone store to see if I can get any help there. For all you have done, again my thanks. Jim

71,875

I did some more checking in the shop manual for my Grand Prix. The body control module is not involved with the power windows but it is with the locks. Basically what the manual is telling me is it's a bad connection within the system. I suspect, again it's being caused by the water in the passenger compartment. Also, the body control module appears to be under the dash on the passenger's side. HTH. -Jim

71,875

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim