Service Engine Light

35

Asked by Nov 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM about the 1996 Ford Taurus GL Wagon

My car's service engine light comes on weekly. It turns off for a day and a half at most, stays on for a week and shuts off again.
My mechanic says there's a filter or something that's going to cost about $600 to fix. I was wondering if there was something that
can be done until I'm able to afford to fix it.

I know of no filter that cost 600.00 to install.,I would say the oxygen sensors are bad,their is 3 of them on your car,2 on the down stream exhaust pipes,1 behind the cat converter.how many miles on car.would say they have never been replaced.they run about $40.00 a piece and can be replaced in 20 minutes.dont let this guy rip you off.

35

Ok, that makes sense, I think that's what he said what was going bad. My car's got a little over 200,000 miles on it. He's been my mechanic since I moved here and up until lately, I've trusted him. When he told me I shouldn't bring my car to the dealership, that did raise a red flag in my mind. I'm going to talk to the dealership when my husband gets paid this week and see how much they'll charge me to get this replaced. Thanks for the info.

your husband can change them.they look like long spark plugs,just unscrew them from exhaust pipe ,replace,they have a plugin.is verry easy,1 on each pipe going down from exhaust manafold,1 behind cat converter.if he wants to do it,and isent to sure,I can talk him through it.leave the dealer alone,they riping you off.also sounds like your mechanic thinks you have deep pockets,we install them for 25 bucks +parts,unless the costomer has their own.

35

My husband doesn't do this type of thing at all. I would have to be the one to do it.

it is not a hard job to do,just screw the old one,s out,put in new ones.plug them up,your done.

35

Could you please tell me a little bit about yourself? As in your experience working with vehicles?

35

I do apologize for sounding skeptical about your experience with vehicles. I'm just a little hesitant about doing this myself. I've had this car since 2005, paid for it myself, and I just don't want to do anything that would cause the demise of the car.

Dont mind at all,and understand your concern.I have workd for ford for many years+being a owner operator in the trucking industery.have been ASE certified since I was 18 im now 50.have been doing mechanics ever since i can remember.my dad told me when i was 3 or 4 i was tearing down motorcycles,rideing lawn mowers just to see how they worked,then put them back together,of corse i dont remember being so young.I do all my own work on all makes of vehicles,even on my tractor trailors,thing about me is,I dont trust others working on something my wife and grandkids are rideing in,hope this helps.

I would like to submit a question. How do I do that?

You asked it

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL . 159,897 mi. Bought it in July with No Lights it's been fine. Service Engine Soon Light came on today. Need to get Car inspected Soon . Never had a Ford before . When I go in reverse the radio lowers what could that be ? Also there is something flashing where my mileage is