No Heat

5

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 05:49 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Aztek STD AWD

I took my car in for no heat. The Dealer flushed the system and said to was full of gook.  I had heat for about 3-4 weeks.  Took it back and they flushed it again, lasted another 3-4 weeks then no heat.  I asked them why it was happening and all I got was a lot of  gook in heater coil (?). Took it back for another flush same thing.  This time they said I would need a new heater coil.  Any Help?

237,015

What are you looking for? Instructions on how to replace the heater core? Sounds like someone added stop leak in the cooling system and multiple flushes aren't flushing it out. You'll need to replace the heater core as it's all gooked up. I'd flush the radiator separately as well .

Best Answer
65,935

As Tom said it sounds like someone put some stop leak stuff in the cooling system. Even after flushing it there may be some debris floating around in there. Because the passages in your heater core are very small this debris collects in there and clogs it up. HTH. -Jim

20

I am absolutely not any sort of mechanical expert but a darn good shade tree mechanic just told me the other day that Dex-Cool and stop leak combined will totally screw your heating system up and flushing isn't gonna do the trick. The combination already destroyed my water pump, I am currently online learning how to change the radiator and heater core both since I figure if I only change one of them then I will just push the sludge from the old part into the new part and be screwed again. It is a pain but I might as well switch it all and be done with the problems. 2004 Aztek, 212,000 miles, no heat, overheats constantly, will only use Green 50/50 Universal Coolant from now on. No more Dex-Cool or stop leak in my wife's baby.