I have coolant leaking and it falls right above and drips down the oil filter! any idea what it could be there is no water in the oil or white smoke so is that still an intake job or something else?

50

Asked by Mar 23, 2015 at 02:57 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Aztek STD

i just know that there is coolant leaking from somewhere and im not sure if it is the intake gaskets or something else i just know it falls right over/under the oil filter!

148,655

I don't know the cooling system layout ...hoses etc for your Aztec, I will try to find an image. But sounds like a hose or pin-hole in radiator. How bad is the leak? Do you have to add coolant everyday?

50

it flows pretty hard but it will only do it if you run the car for so long if u just crank it for the first time of the day it will take like 10 / 15 mins of running it will start to fall pretty hard right by the oil filter which is in the front lower part of the motor right under the front manifold

148,655

OK, can you take this and draw an arrow to where the leak is? If you don't have image manipulation, maybe just describe, by what number? I scaled it up to full screen

148,655

Exhaust or intake manifold?

50

exhaust is in the front i believe, and i cant see where it leaks from it just falls off the oil filter

148,655

Trying to find image with oil filter shown, so far no go

148,655

OK> What I suggest is a cold pressure test. You can pay to have it done, or rent, borrow one of these. With engine cold, this goes on radiator cap and you pump air in, and watch for leak.

50

yea same here, this is my wife's car and i hate it! i begged her not to buy it but she liked it and thought it was cute so now we are dealing with this not so cute problem! The leak cause the car to run hot i change the Thermostat. it hasnt ran hot yet but it still leaks coolant....i read about the intake alot and thats what they all say but they also say u will see it sitting by the thermostat housing or somewhere around the intake but there is no other water anywhere it just falls from the oil filter and like i said the oil is fine.

50

i will have to do a pressure test next thats one thing i havent done yet

50

ok then its under the front manifoild

148,655

Wait..I took that down because I don't know for fact, the arrow is pointing to thermostat. Those are only images I can find ..but doesn't matter.

50

ok the thermostat is on the driver side right under the throttle body

148,655

Yep it sure looks like it. So that is definitely intake, where throttle body is. And if you do any more searching, I found this quote: Other vehicles that share the same platform and major mechanic features of the 2005 Buick Rendezvous include the: – 2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek

575

GM engines of that era are well known for lower intake gasket leaks due to the old formulation of dexcool antifreeze. So, I agree with Fordnut.