why would i see gas standing in throttle body

Asked by Nov 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE

Leaking fuel injectors.

I doubt it is straight fuel. What motor do you have, the 2200. I would say it is oil/fuel from the crankcase vent (vent hose from the valve cover) building up on the front side of the throttle body and in the intake hose. As you run your engine there is "blow-by" past the pistion rings into your crankcase from the compression/power stroke that contaminates your engine oil with soot and un-burnt fuel. This creates pressure in the engine which is routed back to the engine to be burnt via the vent hose and my carry fluid to your intake manifold. The more contaminated your oil the more it will smell like gas.