My 2002 pontiac sunfire se died on my driving down the road, what it this cause from?

40

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 01:55 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE

did it sputter or a catastrophic breaking of the timing chain or belt?

the thing that makes the valves turn half speed of the crank...has marks on it one of them being TDC or top dead center...it is from here we can check the marks on the camshaft sprocket...can check to see if this is an interference motor, in which case we need go no further~ let me dig for you~

40

It stuttered when Ipushed on the gas then died

yes you have a 2.2 liter timing chain INTERFERENCE motor...so all I can ask if you can get the timing cover off and look at the damage...or just say screw it and buy a Toyota~

unless you want to start educating yourself on the various components of your motor...or you could say "screw it" and buy a more reliable car...personally appreciate how sexy the MINI's are own one (well technically the bank does) and find it to be the most fun ever...course if you are in a icy environment it has very low ground clearance...but dynamite driving this one~

have you opened the hood to see if the distributor turns, or even if you've got a distributor...would have to look this one up too---but your cam isn't being nice to your crank vis-a-vis a chain that is now broken~ these things actually have a "wear shoe" that takes up any stretching for wear, as it wears will sound like a can of marbles...then is the time to change it, NOT when it has gone on a kamikaze rampage taking as many components with it as it can such as the water pump, the oil pump and whatever else is behind that timing cover.~

40

Well my car does start but its serviceengin light is on and it has trouble shifting from first to second what type of oil does this engine take do you know?

bobistheoilguy.com will answer this for you but would say 10W-30 for an engine of your age...so it runs...but lousy...take a look at your fuel pressure regulator to see if the vacuum line has fallen off or the unit still operates normally...seen 'em where the diaphragm got eaten up and sucked into the vacuum line...just check it's operation...might be starvin' the system of gas by now~

Put an OBD-II scanner on there to read what it says need some attention, could be as simple as an O2 sensor~...you could have any autoparts store send a guy out to read it for you too~

a fuel pressure regulator would not show as a trouble code on the OBD-II diagnostics, that's why we must check it ourselves and the line leading to it.~