My car will not start! I had a new alternator put in almost 2 years ago. I have an eighth of a tank of gas. I blew a head gasket and got it fixed and also got a new coolant tank about 3 months ago.

15

Asked by Nov 19, 2014 at 01:41 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

My oil is good. I've also checked my belt
and it looks as good as new. Its cold out.
About 32° . My car will just not start
someone help!

20,830

Does it turn over when you try to start it? If not you most likely have a dead battery.

20,830

BTW you shouldn't run the gas tank down that low it's hard on the fuel pump.

15

It will not turn over. I had someone try to charge my battery. And i just bought a new battery last year. Nothing!

20,830

Do the headlights work? Did you try jumping the Sunfire or just charging the battery? What kind of battery did you buy? (please tell me it wasn't from Autozone or walmart they sell the biggest junk batteries you can get)

15

Both. The headlights, lights, radio, power locks and air all work. So i really don't think it's the battery.

15

My dad bought the battery. So not sure but it does look like one that was sold at walmart.

20,830

The lights and radio can all work even if the battery is weak. The battery just won't have enough power to crank the engine. However, if you tried jumping it and it didn't start it could be the starter. Start by checking all the wires and connections from the battery to the starter. The connections on the battery and starter need to be tight and clean, the wires need to be free of cuts, nicks, and corrosion or being melted. Did you hear any clicking sound when you tried starting it?

15

I didn't hear any clicking. And i haven't checked the wires or connections on the battery and starter. But will check in the morning.

20,830

Ok, let me know how it goes. Have a good night.

15

All the wires and connections look good coming from my starter and battery.

20,830

Then I would say it's a starter.

20,830

I just saw your post about your Dad buying the battery from walmart. If it's yellow it's from wally world. they are not a good battery.

15

My car is now turning over but still will not start.

20,830

Turning over by itself or with a jump? If it's slowly turning over it could still be the battery, the starter or possibly a fuel pump. You need to have a REPUTABLE mechanic look at it.