why does my sunfire stall going up hill

Asked by Apr 21, 2014 at 06:19 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

I have a 2002 Sunfire with a 2.2 motor, automatic, recent purchase for my niece. The car seems to run fine except when you have to accelerate to run up hill, and not the much of a hill either. I replaced the coils because I could hear one of them snapping (high voltage crack) that issue is gone now. Idle is around 600 and seems to do alright as long as I don't push it. The car has fresh oil and filter, clean air filter, clean spark plugs, the plugs looked good except it looked like someone bumped the tip and the gap was only .026 but they are all at .040 now. So, any ideas what could make it die? Oh, it starts right back up and there are no codes, only the track off light is on.

I found it,,,,and it's a doosie. we just bought the car and within one day it started. I checked everything. when I finally got to the fuel pressure test (of which by the way, the Autozone kit does not include an adapter to fit the Sunfire for an inline test) I only got maybe 4 psi. and it was irratic. Fuel gauge shows a little over half a tank but I thought I would check anyway. when I knocked on the tank, it was empty. added a couple gallons and off it went, she hasn't stopped driving it since. always check the simplest thing first. Oh well, I didn't spend that much replacing parts.. about $100. could have been a lot worse. Thanks guys