So we have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire, 2.2 litre. Bought the car, used it not even 24 hours later the battery light came on, did a multimeter test, showed the alternator was bad, bought a new one and changed. Worked good for approx a week. Now the battery light comes on and off. When the battery light is on, the wipers are slow, the stereo quits working, when idling the rpm's will drop down and before stalling jump back up, all the lights on the dash will light up (battery, abs, e-brake, airbag etc.), the speedometer and tachometer will quit working also. ANY IDEA WHAT THIS COULD BE???

Asked by May 18, 2012 at 03:25 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

So we have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire, 2.2 litre.

Bought the car, used it not even 24 hours later the battery light came on, did a multimeter test, showed the alternator was bad, bought a new one and changed. Worked good for approx a week. Now the battery light comes on and off.
When the battery light is on, the wipers are slow, the stereo quits working, when idling the rpm's will drop down and before stalling jump back up, all the lights on the dash will light up (battery, abs, e-brake, airbag etc.), the speedometer and tachometer will quit working also.

ANY IDEA WHAT THIS COULD BE???

210,495

Check the new alternator. If you bought a remanufactured one, I'd bet the new one is shot. Those reman alternators are almost a 50% sucess rate. Start the car, open the hood and put a voltmeter across the battery leads. Is it above 14volts? if not, it's time for another.

Ya we will try that, if the alternator is bad, will it cause it to do all those whacky things though?

2,705

that and a new battery as well .