Inner tie rod Torque Spec

45

Asked by Feb 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Coupe

Hey Everyone,

I got into a little accident with my 2002 pontiac sunfire. I held off on getting my winter tires installed this year. I was coming out of the movie theatre when we had the first snow fall. Long story short i ended up hitting a curb pretty hard. As a result, I've had to change the ball joint. I still need to change the inner and outer tie rods on the vehicle. However. i have all the torque specs but one.

The torque spec i need is for the inner tie rod. I know i need to apply some blue loctight but i would like to know if anyone out there had this spec. Again its the INNER tierod torque spec. The tierod that goes into the rack.

Thank you

3,465

Tight.

3,465

Most manufacturers are just now producing OEM inner tie rod replacement kits. Before it was common place to have to replaced the entire steering gear assembly, therefore an inner tie rod torque spec in most likely not available. Also, the design of the inner tie rod joint prohibits the use of a torque wrench, unless using a crow foot which within itself will not transmit an accurate torque.

45

Hey Jonathan, Thanks for the reply and advice. I got a reply from one of my friends who is in the trade. The torque spec is 70ft/lbs and you need a special tool called inner tie rod tool. Its basically a long 1/2 drive socket with different adapters at then end. Just passing along this info incase someone else runs into this problem. Hope this helps.

3,465

Id be curious to know the j-number for that inner tie rod tool so i can see if we have one in my shop. I have the kit i bought from Matco for $120, i just didnt think the general would release that without also releasing the tool to dealers.

45

Hey this is the exact tool i bought. I bought it from ebay.ca http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gudcraft+inner+tie+rod+tool&_sacat=See-All-Categories