I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire it turns over but wont start; i tryed the 45 min step with turning the key on and off but it still wont start.

Asked by Oct 27, 2013 at 08:36 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT

no hiccups? would suggest that the ignition relay is fried~ https://www.google.com/#q=+2002+Pontiac+Sunfire+GT+ignition+relay

you need to get a NEW battery (if yours is older than five {check the date on the top of the battery} and wirebrush the end of the black cable as it attaches to the chassis/ground~

Maybe fuel pump going out

when you put the key to the "on" position can you hear the fuel circulating through the fuel loop? whrrwhrr of the pump running?

25

i am having the same problem with my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. Thought it was my battery going bad. i've had my car almost 2 years. it will be 2 years coming june of 2014. the battery was changed just before i bought the car from a family member of mine. charged the battery. i hear the pump running and charged the battery while trying to start the car. my car wants to start and run but if it gets the chance to turn over and start running it will die instantly out of no where. i had my car running twice and within 5 seconds of it running it died instantly. can't figure out why. some people are thinking it could be my fuel filter got clogged or frozen up because i live in the Tug Hill Plateau in New York State (Snow Belt Region) in Lewis County, New York. as of Tuesday, January 7th,2014 my car has not ran because of an unknown issue. checked everything over everything seems to be fine but something is preventing my car from running and/or staying running.

okay this one does NOT have an inertia fuel cutoff...so we have to test power to the fuel pump....the relay dropping out from insufficient voltage or defective may do as you are saying~ https://www.google.com/#q=2002+Pontiac+Sunfire+GT+fuel+pump+relay

http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/23x0j-2003-pontiac-sunfire-not-getting- electric-fuel-pump.html

160

2001 sunfire will not start. Turns over and wants to go but nothing. Changed the fuel filter and cracked the lines.